Chapter 12: It's Like He Knows

Colin's perspective: Everybody helped me make a snowman. Every once in a while, I would catch Tony staring at me. What was his deal? Ever since I had gotten out of the hospital he had been avoiding me like I was a virus.. pun not intended. But he would just stare at me, all day long. He would study my face, my body. Every movement I made. He would watch me like a hawk. It unsettled me so much, I completely forgot about my plan to confront him. 

I was talking to Lars and Shrignold while Tony, Paige, Steve and Veg had a snowball fight.

"Colin, this is the most excited you've been all week," Shrignold said.

"Yeah, all week you've been a total drip," Lars added.

 "Well, winter is my favourite season," I told them. 

"Why?" Shrignold asked.

"When I was a child, my family would always throw the biggest Christmas parties. It was the only time of the year when they would all get along. My father would cook the most delicious turkey... my mother would bake gingerbread cookies for desert... and my sister Joan would always sing carols for us."

"I didn't know you had a sister," Lars butted in.

"I did. Well.. not by blood. I found out I was adopted when I was 15. I guess it was obvious though. I was the only albino in the whole family; everyone had brown hair except for me," I explained.

"How did you find out you were adopted?" Shrignold asked.

"I-it's not really a time I'd like to revisit. I just stumbled upon the adoption papers one day out of pure curiosity. I talked to my parents about it and they just denied it. Then Joan came clean and admitted it. Then a huge fight broke out a-and... I don't want to think about it."

Shrignold and Lars both looked astonished. There was a pause before I spoke once more.

"Anyway, I didn't mean to get so sentimental... let's just-"

I felt something cold hit the back of my head. I turned around quickly to see that Veg had flung a snowball at me. He was propped up on Steve's shoulders, firing snowballs at everyone like a machine gun. I smirked and picked up a chunk of snow, rolling it into a ball shape. I let the ball fly towards him, hitting him square in the face. I gasped and ran over to see if he was ok.

"Crap, I'm sorry, Veg! I didn't mean to hit you in the face!" I cried. I waited for him to respond.

"Hehe, that's fine, Colin. Nice shot, by the way!" Veg giggled. Phew. Crisis averted. 

Tony's perspective: Later that night, it snowed even more. The wind howled outside the thin apartment walls. I was sitting on the couch with Shrignold, watching a Christmas movie with him, drinking some homemade hot chocolate that Steve had made for everyone earlier.

"So, how's it going with Colin?" Shrignold asked. I looked down at the floor.

"I don't know. He's been so.. I don't even have the words to describe it. It's like he knows. About the party, about the touching, about the kiss."

"But you know that's not true, right? I mean, even the doctor said he lost his memory," Shrignold said.

"I know. But there's just something about him that seems off, don't you think?"

"I suppose."

"Sorry.. I can't help but think about Colin. I really need to calm down," I sighed. Shrignold put a hand on my shoulder.

"Why don't we change the subject? Christmas is coming soon, right?" Shrignold asked me. I nodded.

"Well, what do you want for Christmas?"

"Hmm, I'm not sure. Maybe a new alarm clock," I said. He rolled his eyes.

"Don't you have like 20 of those already?" He asked mockingly.

"I like collecting them, that's all," I told him. 

"What if I got you something a little less... weird? Like a new jumper or a new pair of shoes or-"

I waved off his suggestions.

"It's fine. You don't have to get me a gift."

"Well, since you got us those tickets to that party, the least I can do is pay you back." 

"If you wanted to pay me back, you'd have to give me your whole bank account. Just go easy on yourself, Shrig. Get me a bloody card."

"If that's really what you want-"

"Yes, that's what I want."

"Alright. Suit yourself."