ID please <3

As the next customer left the line after paying for the items, I almost didn't realise from the familiarity of the face that next in line was Billie Joe.

He gave me a toothy grin, to which I replied to with a sigh. Then a chuckle. "Billie you can't show up at my work like this,"

"Why not?" He shrugged, still happy with his choices. "Nothing wrong with coming to visit my girlfriend working,"

"They'll fire me if they think I'm-"

"-Relax," He cuff off, nonchalantly smiling before placing pack of lighters down on the counter. "I'm actually buying something this time,"

I couldn't help but smile, although I tried so hard not to. I picked up the multi pack of lighters scanning them on the till.

I heard a few boys laughing in the distance of the shop. Looking behind Billie it was easy to spot Mike and Tre down an aisle. And I knew exactly where they were.

"You brought Mike and Tre huh?"

"They insisted on joining,"

"Should probably tell them if they plan on laughing at the lube flavour names all day they might be asked to leave,"

"Someone takes their job seriously," Billie teased. Poking me in the arm across the counter.

It was hard not to laugh or smile. I'll be honest, my shift today had been dragging, it was nice to be terrorised and entertained by Billie.

"Alright alright; I'll tell them to stop." He gave in, turning around. Billie was kinda the only person in line, today was a Sunday. Never busy. "Guys, come over here,"

Tre skipped over no questions asked as Mike placed back the bottle they'd been looking at before joining over.

"How's work going?" Tre grinned.

"Terrible. This shift is draining,"

Mike joined the two shortly after. "Behind the till again?"

I'd moaned before about how much I hated the till. It was the worst possible thing they always stuck me with. "Can you believe it? This jobs killing me,"

Tre widened his eyes as he remembered something? Pushing Billie to the side slightly to speak more to me. "Oh- can I get a pack of cigarettes?"

"I'll need your ID please Tre,"

"What?"

"Your ID?"

"Awww come on, let me off the hook," He smiled nervously. Rechecking his jacket pockets. "I left it at home,"

"Tough luck boy,"

"Your really ID'ing Tre?" Billie snorted. "You do take this job seriously huh?"

"Not funny Bill. Look- I'm sorry Tre but my managers watching-" I tried to whisper. My eyes slowly glancing over to the grey haired man on the other side of the store. His eyes flickering on and off me. "-And I gotta ask you. So... do you have any ID on you?"

Tre bit his lip frustrated as he looked away. Then released it as he stared at Mike. "You've got your ID right Mikey? You always have yours,"

Mike sighed. "You want me to buy you your cigarettes?"

Tre just smiled. Then all three of their eyes looked over at me. As if to ask if they could cheat their way through and allow that. I shrugged 'why not' before Mike reached out his wallet.

"Fine. Can I have a twenty pack please?"

I grabbed Mike the packet as he flashed his ID at me, Tre passing me the money as I cashed it in. Before he ran away successful with his cigs in hand. Mike nodded and told me he'd see me later following as they began to leave the shop.

"That's two dollars for your lighters Beej,"

"Not gonna ID me?"

"Count it as a boyfriend perk,"

He smiled bashfully passing me two dollars. Before he leaned over, kissing my cheek. "We'll wait for you at the diner, catch us when you finish your shift,"

"I'll meet you guys there," I rolled my eyes grinning, not even attempting to hide.

He gave me his signature wink before picking up the pack of lighters and exiting the shop. A woman in her thirties stepping forward. Child in hand- or well, child's wrist in her hand.

"Gosh didn't he take long," she muttered to herself grabbing her purse out. "You'd think boys that age should have a job of their own, not disrupting others,"

I tightened my lips.

She flickered her brown hair out the way as she looked back up at me. "A pack of twenty cigarettes,"

And I smiled at the opportunity. "ID please,"