October, new years eve <3

A/N: OH HEY- THIS STORY JUST HIT 1K!? THANK U GUYS, so to show my appreciation and as a 'special' for the new year, HERES A NEW YEARS EVE THEMED ONE SHOT

Billie Joes P.O.V

I sat on my front doorstep with Mike and Tre on either side of me. Tre, like an idiot, left his pack of cigarettes back in his girlfriend's car. So we were trying to savour four cigarettes to last us the night. So as we all sat outside trying to savour this one lit cigarette passing it between us.

"Some shitty New Year's Eve," Mike muttered passing the cigarette back over to me.

It was around ten at night, New Year's Eve and this was how we were celebrating? Sucks.

"I wish it was last year," Tre let out dramatically. Resting his chin on his hand. As I inhaled on the cig.

This time a year ago we were all huddled in Tre's living room. His house was conveniently free for the night. But it wasn't just us three.

"Are you trying to say you miss y/n?" Mike asked Tre.

Y/n was the fourth member for the night of last year. Or well always had been. Until now of course. She'd always been, until this years October.

This time a year ago the four of us were in Tre's living room, shitty music playing through some shitty radio, beers in our hands as we sat huddled on Tres floor finding ourselves slipping in and out of laughing fits stoned.

"Well no one's gonna miss her as much as Billie boy here," Tre had to add, shoulder barging me.

"Watch it,"

"Pass the cig,"

I rolled my eyes, handing him the stumpy cigarette over.

It had been no secret I had feelings for y/n. Huge ones. I mean- I had since I first met her years before that night last year. Everyone knew: but of course her.

She lived across the street, but she was never home.  Not since this years October anyway.

"Y'know last year- we were actually having fun. And now we're all hogging a cig," I huffed, clasping my hands together as I stared over at her house.

All the curtains drawn closed but her kitchen, where there were blinds open. Lights on in every room. She use to hate when her family did that.

"Y'know we don't need y/n to have fun New Year's Eve Billie," Mike huffed, holding his hand out in front of me to Tre. Wanting the rest of the cigarette.

"No, we need cigarettes. But someone didn't bring the pack,"

"Buy your own next time," Tre sneered, giving the cigarette over to Mike.

"I bet y/n is out somewhere stupid still having a better time than last year," I ignored Tres comment.

Mike finally stumped out the already short cig. "Stop thinking about her. You'll make yourself worse,"

I know that Mike. "I can't," I admitted. "All I can think of was her last year in my band shirt she always wore, her new red converse and baggy black jeans laughing over the way the clock ticked when we were stoned,"

"I forget how much you liked her," Tre randomly let out, budging back closer on to the cold step as I felt his shoulder nudge into mine.

Mike snorted. "Liked is an understatement,"

"I bet I know exactly what she's doing right now," I continued to ignore, sitting up slightly still staring straight over at her house.

Tre replied. "Go on,"

"She'll be in one of those short dresses she hates, hanging around with the girls that she doesn't like, pretending she doesn't smoke when someone offers a cig because the girls she hangs with thinks it's gross and squealing when the new year starts gossiping about all her new year beauty resolutions,"

"Remember when her last year resolution was to go vegetarian for the year?" Mike randomly chuckled. "And she kept forgetting and 'restarting',"

The thought scared me of going into a new year without her. "She's so different now," I squinted still at her house. "She's just not the same since October,"

"Don't look now Billie," Tre mumbled beside me. "But I think the same girl from last year might be walking down the street,"

My heart stopped from panicking for a few seconds as I shot my eyes up the street. Looking through the dark where I found her.

Walking down the side of the street I was on, cig lit in her mouth as she puffed. One hand was deep in her jean pocket. That same band shirt she wore last year, my shirt. Her new red converse I had no doubt she had to beg for, for Christmas. Her eyes met mine, but she looked away. She doesn't look at me much, not since this years October anyway.

The three of us watched her puff out more smoke as she crossed the road, reaching her house as she scraped the cigarette onto the side of the house before walking in.

"Looks like she's still the same girl to me Beej," Mike shrugged as I felt his shoulder brush beside me. "Maybe she's just been wearing a facade,"

"Girls like her don't change," Tre added like he knew what he was saying. "She's a classic,"

We accepted one cig between us three wasn't gonna work. We sat outside and smoked just taking one each of the three we had left. Y/n didn't leave her house again. Maybe after all she wasn't doing anything herself special for New Year's Eve.

When it drew closer to midnight and we were inside my living room, lazily spread on the couches watching the numbers count down on the tv.

Ten!

A new year to focus more on the band, maybe I'll drop out of school?

Nine!

I could try and find a new occupation for the time being.

Eight!

Who am I kidding? I'm good at nothing but that damn guitar.

Seven!

Maybe I should try this year.

Six!

Maybe I could patch things up with y/n. A new year to forgiveness and consideration?

Five!

Or maybe it'll be a new year without her.

Four!

I looked over at Tre and Mike. All three of us not even counting, maybe New Years is only exciting when you're young.

Three!

Did we outgrow New Years like we did Christmas?

Two!

Will we outgrow Easter next? Halloween?

One!

Do we outgrow people?

Happy New Years!

Maybe October, y/n out grew me.

She doesn't look at me anymore. She doesn't speak to me. Visit by my house, invite me over, smoke or drink with me. She doesn't even know me. Or I don't know her.

Not since last year October anyway.