clutzy waitress <3

I looked over across the dinner table at everyone else. I wondered if anyone here noticed I wasn't alright today.

My eyes went around to everyone. My mom laughing at a joke she'd told, my older sister on her phone under the table, Billie Joe who moved the food around on his plate, Billie Joe's mom, Ollie, also now laughing.

But my eyes fixated back on the boy pushing around his potato's on a plate. His cheek leaning on his clenched fist, elbow on the table.

He wasn't a friend of mine. We'd never spoken much or even tried to. He was only here because his mom and mine had always been some sort of best friends.

I wonder how he felt about me?

"Y/n,"

My eyes buzzed off from Billie Joe, over at my mom who was now staring over at me. Her brows furrowed down looking unsatisfied with something I'd done.

"What?" I asked confused, feeling the eyes of everyone else at the table now burning into my skin.

"Stop staring over the table and eat the dinner I cooked you,"

"I wasn't staring I was-"

"-Eat your food,"

Sounded like she could've been talking to a dog.

I nodded, trying to not look at anyone else as I looked back down at my plate of food. It was almost like it'd just been served. There was so much there to eat.

"You'd never of guessed what had happened to y/n yesterday," Was an opening to my mom's new conversation.

My eyes instantly shot up to her. "Mom don't,"

She ignored me, speaking over to Ollie.

When I looked over at everyone else at the table, only Billie was really paying attention to me.

"Her waitress job had fired her," My mom continued.

"Mom,"

"Not only had she made a fool of herself dropped her food and plates whilst waitressing-"

"-Oh gosh," I mumbled, placing my elbow on the table as I used my hand to cover my eyes. Looking down at my food feeling my cheeks begin to burn.

"-But whilst dropping everything. She'd slipped,"

And it only gets worse.

"And her skirt had flown up!"

Moving my hand, I stared down knives at my older sister. Who'd been the only one there who I knew of the situation. It was obvious she'd had a laugh about it with my mom.

When I heard both my mom begin to laugh again with the plus of Ollie, my stomach began to churn.

"Mom- that's not funny," I heard Billie say.

I looked back up, only at him. He looked at his mom with a disapproving stare. Funny because, it was normally the other way around.

"Well, I was just..." His mom awkwardly looked over at me.

I knew she wasn't laughing to be cruel the way my mom was. It was supposed to be something I was supposed to find funny too. But I didn't. In fact, I'd made a huge idiot of myself when it'd happened.

Not only had no one helped me up, but I'd bruised myself on my own ass. After abruptly leaving the café in tears ending my work hour, it only got worse to find out I was fired because of my exit. Not, for me falling.

I was quite still embarrassed least to say. And the sympathy from no one stung.

I awkwardly pushed myself back from the table, chair squeaking on the hardwood floor. "I'm kinda full," I muttered. Voice obviously shaky before making a somewhat awkward exit out the room and upstairs.

Before I'd even reached my room I'd already begun to cry.

It wasn't the incident I was crying about. Just the way my sister had to mention it, and my mom had to bring it up. To make me a laughing conversation at dinner. That was all I really was.

Crying hard into my pillow, I thought about everything ever my mom had done in that same way. Only crying harder and harder by the thought.

I continued walling into the soggy pillow in my hands. Until I finally realised I couldn't cry anymore. I was only really silently screaming.

~

Two months later.

I looked over at Billie Joe who was laughing. We sat beside each other on the curb of the road.

Fair to say we'd become closer than we had ever been. Weird since we'd known each other's existence for years yet for some reason he'd begun to speak to me more.

There had always been awkward smiles in hallways. But one day, he'd begun saying hi. Sometimes he'd ask how I was. He'd ask me how things had been. We'd have our own conversations when he'd show up for family dinner. He began asking me to hang out. Showing me his music. It was odd, but his company was more comfortable than expected.

Finally, through fits of laughter at an old memory, he spoke up. "It was your fault I'd fallen over when attempting to skateboard, it was you who shouted my name!"

"I was letting you know you were close to a lamppost!"

Billie extended his arm, giving me a playful push. "Whatever," with a smile.

"Hey- at least when you fell you didn't upstart yourself in the middle of a shift," I pointed out, elbowing his arm.

He looked over at me, laughing slightly. But not as much as I thought he would've. "Must've been embarrassing huh?"

"Course it was- everyone saw me fall over with food on plates and-"

"-No," he cut me off, the look in his eyes not so much playful anymore. "I mean... when your mom brought it up at dinner that one time,"

The topic of my mom had made me slightly uncomfortable. I squirmed a little looking away from him. At the empty road in front. "Course it was," I mumbled.

"Sorry she did that,"

"Yeah- so am I,"

"No- I mean it though,"

I looked back over at him. He looked like he could've meant it. But I didn't know him well enough to believe that.

"I wanted to follow you up the stairs and check on you," he continued. "I just didn't know how,"

That I didn't believe. "Yeah right," I snorted.

"I mean it y/n." He repeated. "I even went up the stairs after you. But... I got stuck when I waited outside your bedroom door,"

"You did?"

"Yeah... I mean. I couldn't knock- I didn't know what to say. Was I supposed to ask if you were alright? I knew you weren't, I could hear you crying even through the door,"

My face creased up a little in embarrassment. "Really?" I asked, my voice small.

"It was sort of muffled. Like you were crying into something. Maybe it was a pillow or the sleeves of your jacket or something. But I just stood outside of your room, as you cried and cried. And it felt like torture- I didn't wanna hear you cry like that anymore. So I went back downstairs without checking on you. And when I sat back down and looked around the table... I guess I sort of realised no one else seemed to be worried that much. And I wondered if any of them knew you weren't okay that night. I guess I still wonder now if any of them knew how much you cried that night the way I did."

A/N: HEY DUDES! Take this- sorry it's a little depressing. Just thought I'd add some flavour to the one shots book.

Again! If you guys have any request They are more than welcome!
It'd be great to interact with you guys more,

Also It's currently 3:04am and I've got my first job interview today at 12:30pm.... So- erm. Good luck to me. To both getting up early and the interview. And not getting lost on busses.

Nervous asf.

ANYWYA! THANKS FOR READING. LUV U ALL <333333333