Chapter V

"Tory

"Tory. Nice to see you too," Nott replied.

"What's the rush?" She asked.

"Dark Lord's orders. It's good to see you, Tory – really, but we really have to go," said Theodore in a hurried tone.

Her eyes landed on Hermione, beside Theodore.

"Oh. I see," she replied, the enthusiasm in her voice fading. She shifted her sight back to the man in front. "I'll see you around then," said Astoria, walking past the two.

Hermione met eyes along the way, almost setting her in flames as their stares linger until she fades out of view.

"This way," said Theodore, turning to a left corridor.

There was a door at the end of the hallway with a rectangular silver plaque on it. The carved letters became legible enough that they strode closer to the room.

N.M Lieutenant Theodore Nott

Hermione repeated the words in a whisper.

"Yeah, unfortunately," said Theodore, hearing her mutters.

The doorknob glowed in shiny gold light, recognizing Nott's hand as he twisted it open. A gentle scent of men's perfume greeted Hermione as she followed him inside the office. There were hardbound Ministry Law books, neatly organized in the polished oak wood bookshelf.

The walls dripped in deep purple wallpaper, jogging her memory of her earlier encounter with Cassius, causing her to freeze in her steps.

"Blue to red should result in purple, like two different poisons mixed with one another, creating—"

The book snapped close as the sound of footsteps began to sound clearer and nearer.

"Who's in there!" A voice called from nearby.

"Granger." A cold hand held her wrist.

"Are they really back? Did I hear it right? Vampires are back in the Wizarding World?" Hermione asked in a series.

"You heard the Dark Lord, Granger. They are back —"

"Have you all gone mad?" Hermione exclaimed in disbelief, running her fingers along her hair.

"They were banished for a reason! Do you think this Ministry is clever enough to handle them? They are more clever than you think!"

Hermione paced around the room, breathing shallowly and shaking from panic.

"They are not here as enemies of the Ministry, Granger. They are here as allies —"

"Clearly, and that's the most foolish thing I've ever heard!" She shouted, manoeuvred by her frustration.

Theodore chuckled, leaning on the edge of his desk. "As far as I can remember you are not in a place to question the actions of the New Ministry. The vampires are here as allies. You are the enemy, Granger. You and your people."