Chapter VI

The rain had stopped when Hermione jolted as she woke to the sound of the continuous pounding on her bedroom walls

The rain had stopped when Hermione jolted as she woke to the sound of the continuous pounding on her bedroom walls. She was panting and sweating like she woke up from a nightmare. It snapped her out of her deep sleep. For a moment there, she thought it was a dream. As she regained her complete consciousness, she realized the sound was really there.

It was faint and but clear enough to wake her. After years of survival, her senses have been trained to all possible dangers around her. One factor was noise.

Hermione stayed silent as she listened. Her eyes were alert as she wandered her sight to the four corners of her bedroom. The light from the fire was enough for her to see the surroundings clearly. Something caught her eyes. A tray of her meal was placed on her bedside table. Kreacher must've left it there while she was asleep.

She sighed and placed her hand on her chest, feeling her hammering heart. She darted her eyes on the meal again but as much as she wanted to have a bite, her body enticed her to go back to sleep, defying her appetite. Hermione yawned as she rubbed her eyes. Her eyelids weighed heavy again, a fair sign to draw herself back to sleep.

As she was in the middle of laying herself back to the bed when the pounding on the wall intensified, waking her up again. It was loud enough to have her anxiety get the best of her. Hermione sat straight on her bed, briskly turning her head as she observed the possible source of the sound.

The sound was scattered making it hard for her to locate its source. The way the pounding on the wall sounded muffled, she certain it may be from the other room. The room above her or the room below her, if there was a floor below or above her. Given she had no clue about which floor Narcissa took her.

The sound stopped, then a muffled voice took over. It was unsettling, creeping out the curious Hermione.

Hermione had goosebumps as she crawled out of bed. The muffled voice whined in pain and distress again. It was horrific and creepy at the same time. Hermione controlled her breathing as she walked closer to the wall on her left. The crackling of the fire, the silence of the night, and the unsettling whining somewhere behind her wall weren't pleasing to the ears at all.

Hermione pressed her ear against the cold wall as she listened to the whining. The voice began murmuring some words again but was too muffled to recognize. The longer she stayed there listening to the sound, she looked up to the ceiling as she realized it came from above.

She ran towards the food tray on her bedside table, grabbing a knife to defend herself as her mind pushed her to a plan. She looked up to the ceiling as the pounding and whining continued. She gripped the knife tightly as she looked at the ancient clock in her bedroom.

"3:00 am..." She whispered to herself. She hesitated if the right thing to do was to wander the Manor by herself at 3 am but the sound was too unsettling that it seemed like it was meant to wake her.