Chapter XV

The familiar sense of fear began to slam out of Hermione's chest upon the view of his eyes. Deep violet like wine. Her very own warning signal. She choked a gasped as she stumbled, trying to balance herself, enduring the thumping pain from her twisted ankle.

She took a step back and another, taking a few desperate and clumsy steps as she dashed away from him. Still stumbling as she ran directionless towards the woods nearby. She was living her nightmare, running away from death, unsure which direction to head. Hermione knew how fast he could be, especially when the monster inside him took over.

He'd be able to swiftly keep up with her like how light travels in space. Running away from him in her state was a dangerous and foolish game of luck. She knew that, but she could not die without trying.

Her feet briefly landed on the ground as she raced for her escape. She got caught in several prickly bushes, ripping her muggle jeans and uncovering more of her skin, but that did not stop her. It was freezing, and yet, her face was drenched with sweat.

She forbade herself to look back until a sound of a whimpering dog made her turn her head abruptly. Her chest expanded, demanding more air for comfortable respiration. She paused, peeking through the woods, hiding in a bush.

Another sound of a dog whimpering from Greyback's lair. She carefully sought for view, moving twigs and leaves away from obstructing her sight. Down the hill, not far away from where she hid, there was Malfoy - and another werewolf, but it wasn't Greyback.

The werewolf whimpered in pain, shuddering with discomfort, lying on the muddy ground. She observed in silence, swallowing in nervousness, despite the dryness of her throat.

His tall and broad figure walked over towards the convulsing werewolf. Malfoy kicked the werewolf's face, cracking its jaw, earning a painful growl from the creature. Malfoy bent down over his opponent, looking at it with a dangerous calm expression written all over his face.

He sneered as the werewolf began to transition back to its human figure. "I don't share what's mine," he seethed and mercilessly grasped the enemy by the neck, lifting the half-conscious man with his strength, assisted by the venom reacting to his rage. Malfoy slammed the man against the glass window of Greyback's creaky lair.

Hermione's lips trembled. She threw a hand over her mouth, holding back a sob. Malfoy stood tall, casually stretching the stiffed muscles on his neck. Her surroundings dropped into a deafening stillness.

Malfoy stood there, scanning for her. Searching for her scent and warmth beyond the strong rotting reeking in the area. He inhaled her lovely scent, focusing not to be distracted by the fresh werewolf blood on his clothes and hands.

The venom took over him, building up authority inside his veins. His skin felt icy, fading paler than it already was. His veins burned, reacting to the venom in his blood. Collecting all the warmth in his body, thus leaving a cold sensation on his skin. His senses grew sensitive and alert as his heart abnormally pumped his contaminated magical blood.

He grunted in pain as he fell to his knees, landing on the wet ground. As his senses enhanced, he felt the unbearable urge to rage. The cold painfully bit his nerves. The gelid sensation in his skin and the painful burn in his veins was a murderous urge pushing him to hunt something to calm him down. He was shaking. The feeling was dreadful, probably closer to the ability of cruciatus when driving a person to derangement. He needed gratification - pleasure and warmth that would embrace the excruciating pleading of his bloodlust.

Hermione hauled a deep breath, taking her chance, pushing herself out of the bush, tightly clutching the strap of her bag, her nails digging into her palms as she did so. She ran limply, crunching the twigs beneath her feet. Hermione looked back, panting, locating her dangerous hunter. She hid behind a tree, leaning onto it, assisting her balance. Hermione climbed the big root on the ground, quietly peeking down the hill, hoping to see Malfoy, thinking it might ease her panic a bit if Malfoy remained there, still. Her position provided her with a decent view from Greyback's lair.