Chapter XXXV

Pansy Parkinson's visit was the last thing Hermione could expect that day.

"I'm only here because I don't want you to embarrass Draco in front of everyone tonight," said Pansy, hauling a dress out of the box.

"Did Draco ask you to do this?" Hermione asked.

"Narcissa asked me, but I knew if Draco had the time, he'd eventually ask me. Where is he anyway?"

"The Ministry, probably. How should I know?" Hermione replied to avoid more questions.

Pansy conjured a dummy, slipped the dress into it and studied Hermione's sizes.

"First name basis with the General?" she scoffed, "I'm more than confident you know where he is."

"A little alteration and this dress should fit you well," said Pansy and proceeded to work on the dress. "So, where is he? Theodore and Blaise said they hadn't seen Draco this morning."

Hermione weighed the risks. Does Pansy already know about her relationship with Draco? But they both agreed it should remain a secret. Can Pansy be trusted? What else does she know?

She shrugged her shoulders and sank back into her seat facing a mirror.

Pansy threw her an observant look while she worked on the waist of the dress.

"Something is wrong with Draco lately," Pansy began, "Sometimes he doesn't respond to the calls. I don't know if he's ignoring it, but it's unlikely of him to ignore them," Pansy stood and inserted her wand back into the holster on her thigh. "If you don't know anything like you said, you could at least put some sense into him before the Dark Lord finishes him. You might think he's too important, but he's easy to replace as General."

"You know the Dark Lord inspects my mind, right?" said Hermione.

"Do I get your trust now?" Pansy replied and sat on Hermione's bed. "I don't care if he sees this or not. I only want Draco to realize that he's playing with fire. I know he fucks you, so you better put some sense into him before he ends up Nagini's dinner."

"Fierce. But don't blame me if he sees you in my memories."

"I've got nothing to lose anymore, except for Draco and Theodore. They're the only reason I'm still here." Her eyes shone with tears, but quickly blinked them away. "Draco doesn't listen to me anymore. I guess that's up to you now."

"How about Theodore Nott? Did you ask him about Draco?"

Pansy shrugged her shoulder and raised a brow. "I barely get a hold of him too. After the lottery, he's all about Astoria. I guess his whereabouts is up to her now too."

Hermione could read the absence of glint in Pansy's eyes as she talked about Theodore and Astoria, and remembered something from the mention of Astoria's name.

"I heard Draco and Astoria talking about marriage. She said she doesn't want to marry 'him' I'm guessing that's Theodore she doesn't want to marry?"

Pansy remained silent stuck in her thoughts. Probably thinking why she'd share a conversation about her personal life with her. Hermione thought.

"Astoria runs to Draco like he's an older brother. She hates the idea of getting married to Theodore, but their parents insist," Pansy scoffed and avoided her gaze. "At first Theodore doesn't pay any attention to her, saying he was into someone. It wasn't until the lottery that I realized he was into you. I guess he somehow knew he wouldn't have a chance with you, so now, he's into Astoria. What a wild turn of events, isn't it?"

Pansy brushed the emotion off her face immediately, occluding within a snap like Draco does.

"Lucky you, huh?" Pansy added and smirked like she wasn't on the edge of breaking down a minute ago. "Now, time for your makeover. Maybe you can seduce Theodore tonight away from Astoria and tell him to notice me? Never mind, Draco might kill him ... or you."