Chapter XXXVI

Hermione eventually sat beside Pansy wondering if they were safe in the Soleil Mansion. Pansy on the other hand kept giving her the same answer. "They will return when everything is sorted out."

Hermione removed her heels and massaged her feet wearing a strained expression as she did so, "We're in a vampire's mansion you know," she reminded.

"What are they going to do? Eat us?" Pansy laughed, "I mean they can't hurt us now. They won't do that to the bearers of the Ministry's future, right?" she added and poured wine for Hermione which was declined.

"One glass won't hurt, Granger," Pansy convinced.

"No. Thank you. I need to stay sober in case – "

Pansy raised an eyebrow. "In case something happens to Draco?" she sang in a playful tone and drank the wine herself.

Hermione stood, pacing again as she kept feeling the thin straps of her dress with her fingers.

"You're giving me more headache than this wine now Granger. Can you sit?" Pansy advised.

"I can't help it. Something is wrong."

"Something is indeed wrong," Pansy immediately agreed with a smirk.

"I mean with this attack. There's something wrong about it."

Hermione turned sharply, facing Pansy.

"What?"

"I think it's best if we leave now," Hermione said following the instructions of her heart.

Pansy returned a worried look, eyebrows nearly meeting, "You're scaring me, Granger. What the fuck?"

"Do you still have access to the Malfoy Manor?" Hermione asked.

"No. I don't. The access expired the moment I left. I can't get in unless given a new permission."

An explosion shook the ground and Pansy shot up to her feet, as though only realizing the gravity of the threat. She dropped the wine bottle and turned to Hermione.

"My place," said Pansy and whipped out her wand as they headed to the door when it barged open before they could touch the door knob.

Draco staggered as he entered, clutching his right shoulder.

"Draco!" she exclaimed and dashed towards him, guiding him to the settee as Pansy checked the corridor, and then shut the door while enclosing the room with layers of protective charms.

Draco winced as Hermione inspected his wounds.

Hermione gasped and stuffed piles of sterile gauze from Pansy on Draco's wound. Draco attempted a protest, convincing her that it would heal quickly without disclosing himself to Pansy.

"Could you conjure some supplies?" Hermione asked Pansy, ignoring Draco's protests.

"Here," said Pansy and a first aid kit with the Ministry's logo flung towards Hermione.

"I'll be fine," said Draco, insisting to sit.

"You sit down!" Hermione snapped, clutching the kit close to her chest, heaving under laboured breaths.

"What happened?" Pansy asked, standing next to Hermione.

Draco went still, switching his gaze over Hermione and Pansy, as though studying the situation.

Hermione swallowed nervously, guessing for the worse, but violently hoped she was wrong.

Pansy clutched Draco's collar. "What happened?" she firmly asked, now tensed in anger.