Chapter XXXI

[A/N: This chapter is barely edited. There might be errors ahead, but I'll work on them as soon as I can. Please bear with me. Thank you!]

"How surprising seeing you here 7th time this month, Draco," Snape said with unmotivated sarcasm as he closed a cupboard full of potion ingredients.

"What brings you here again?'" Snaped asked, gesturing for Malfoy to occupy the seat before him.

"Granger knows," Malfoy without hesitation.

Snape paused from flipping the pages of his book. His hand dropped on the current page and shut his eyes with a sharp inhale.

"How did this happen?" He asked firmly.

"She saw the mark."

"See the consequences of undressing someone you're not supposed to?"

A frown formed on Malfoy's face.

"It's not like that. I did not touch her – "

"Perhaps she touched you?" Snape added, tilting his head slightly as he looked at Malfoy, not even slightly convinced.

"How else would Hermione Granger see that mark on your lower abdomen if the two of you hadn't been undressing each other?"

"That never happened," Malfoy said with certainty.

"Then tell me, how did she exactly see your mark? And don't you dare lie to me because you know I am perfectly capable of seeing the truth for myself."

"I was drunk, and I passed out. She took the chance to search me for a wand, and apparently, it's her charm that's behind that mark. It recognized her, and you know Granger. Curiosity kills her every damn time."

"That's it?" Snape asked, barely convinced. "You were drinking perfectly aware that she had access to whatever room you were drinking. You drank too much and managed to pass out with her in the room!?"

Snape stood, slamming his hands on the table. He towered over Malfoy, glowering at him.

"Imagine what could've happened if she had your wand? You asked for this responsibility and you swore not to ruin this arrangement no matter what! This one is on you, Draco. Being a spy is a huge responsibility and you should always think about the gravity of the consequences if you commit one simple stupidity."

"I never said this one isn't on me."

Snape marched away from the table, brimmed with frustration.

"Please tell me you already figured out how to fix this," Snape replied as he paced back toward Malfoy.

"I'll teach her occlumency – "

"Teach her occlumency. Yes, teach her occlumency – No! It's just a waste of time!"

"There's no other way. The Dark Lord suspects that she knew things about the Order and he's already into her. I had to do something before she exposed my cover."

"Do you know who's the Dark Lord's into right now?" Snape asked, lips curling from anger.

"The Dark Lord is into your business right now. Do you hear me? He summoned me the other day asking about your whereabouts. He said you've been in and out of the Ministry, and the Dark Lord noticed a few unknown attempts crossing the borders. And I wonder who could that be, Draco?"

Snape gave Malfoy a meaningful look, as though he could see through his intentions.

"I've been in and out of the Ministry because I had to attend to the random sabotages from George Weasley. He initiated attacks and ruined our plans because of those damn pills. I had to be there to clean his mess up."