Chapter XXIX

Don't think about it too much.

Hermione constantly reminded herself before she acts according to plan. Draco Malfoy is undoubtedly clever. One wrong move and all her efforts would go to waste.

Time was running fast, leaving her no choice but to proceed to her plan regardless of not knowing where it may lead and how it would end. All she had in mind was to have him trust her.

She knew that the Malfoys were in good negotiations, and it's either she'll work her way into a negotiation with him or she'll dwell into something whatever the desperate situation offered.

Whatever it takes.

The coincidental morning walks with Malfoy had been repeated quite a few times, and she damn well knew that given their setup, there was a possibility that Malfoy was already suspicious about the change in her behaviour. Hermione knew Malfoy would be curious, and as long as he was still seemingly playing along, she'd take her chances.

She was indeed the idiot who would bite any chances given after all the havoc she'd been through. Malfoy was right about what desperation can do to someone. She was desperate, especially now that she'd been dead curious about who allowed the use of her pills.

She opened her space to him a little bit more each day, even upon knowing the fact that he could kill her anytime and anywhere he wanted. She talked more, ate more, went out more, anything to engage in interaction with him.

It was dinner time when she finished her second book of the week. She rolled off her bed and proceeded towards her vanity desk. She sprayed a little perfume on her neck and wrist and tossed her hair a bit to add more volume.

She had a well-defined plan for the manipulation game, she was set on becoming indispensable for him. Through a meticulous approach, she aims to evoke his care, disregarding any potential sacrifices it may cost. She'll toy with his conscience and guilt, no matter what.

Hermione clung to the hope that additional smiles, regular caresses, and persistent displays of longing and dependency could convince him that she solely relied on him. She felt like a goddamned helpless damsel in distress, compelled to wait for Draco Malfoy to be her saviour.

She'll make him feel as though he's a very needed hero if she must, but for sure she'll leave the fire of her resentment towards him. She can't always be the needy-pathetic damsel in distress all the time.

The confusion between feeling needed and hated would be enough for her to occupy a space in Malfoy's busy mind.

"Loree?" She called as she walked down the stairs.

"Miss Granger, called for Loree?" The elf appeared at the bottom of the staircase.

"I need a new book – "

"Does Miss Granger need Loree to accompany her to the library?"

"Well, uhm – there's a book that I saw in your Master's laboratory. Do you think he's there right now?"

"Yes! Master Draco has been there the whole night – "

"Don't have anything else to do than updating her about my whereabouts?" Malfoy asked as he walked past them, taking a sip of his black coffee, while his other hand held a folded copy of The Daily Prophet.

"Thank you, Loree," Hermione said to dismiss the elf.

She followed Malfoy as he rushed towards the hallway heading to his chambers.

He'd been home for a while and Hermione could hardly contain herself from asking why he wasn't on duty. She walked briskly, following him, her nails dug deep into the cover of the book.