Chapter XXXVII

Hermione woke to an empty space beside her, with her heart pounding she rushed outside and as she was about to dash across the hallway, a painting of young Draco Malfoy beside the apple tree in the old garden called her, "Meet me at the office," said his childish voice, and gave her an emotionless expression.

Draco and Snape were waiting for her in his office. Curiosity and worry washed over her, noticing Draco was in his full uniform, and so was Snape.

"What is going on?" she asked, walking towards Draco.

Snape gave Draco a slight nod and then left the room.

Hermione inspected him for injuries. He seemed unharmed, but his eyes said otherwise. His walls are too high up, it was easy to detect. It felt as though he wasn't there with her. She closed the gap between them and reached for his cheek.

"Hey... it's okay. It's just the two of us now," she earnestly whispered, convincing him out of his shell, but her words were not enough to put his guard down. She wondered if he knew she could see him under strong occlumency - that he wasn't too subtle with his mask ... was it meant for her to see?

She realized Snape was there. Draco needed to protect what he knew, even from Snape. She took a step back, understanding the situation, and gave him a warm smile as she clasped her hands behind her back.

Her heart hammered as she remembered her conversation with Snape last night. Was that the reason why Draco is fully occluded in her presence?

Draco seemed to read the shift in her expression when his expression rippled, as though a still water disturbed. He was still locked up in his walls, but paying attention.

"I'm sorry. I told him," Hermione started and reached for his hands, "Given the situation, we need someone to help us. I'm sorry. I should've waited for you. It wasn't my story to tell."

He gave her a quick smile, too faint, it didn't reach his eyes.

"You don't have to worry about it," he finally spoke. "We can trust him," Draco added and gently squeezed her shoulders.

"All we need to do is find the book," said Hermione, stepping in closer, and gripping the fabric of his uniform. "We agreed to put you first, and then we'll deal with all of these as soon as possible. Snape explained everything to me. You first and then we'll work together."

"Hermione, listen," he held her face, "look at me," he said firmly. "Remember your promise?"

Confusion began to surface in Hermione's face. "Of course," she answered.

Draco nodded, willing her to agree with him. "Yeah? You leave when I leave?"

Hermione mirrored his nods. Her hands began to shake as she put them over his. "You leave. I leave. Yes - wait," said Hermione, alerting Draco.

His eyes dimmed in disappointment.

"No, no," she uttered, reading his eyes. "I mean, what about the venom? The Order?"

"Are you changing your mind?" Draco asked, sounding betrayed.

Her eyes pricked with tears. "No! I am not ..." she trailed off, "So, we'll leave everyone?"

Draco stood straight, cold eyes darting somewhere far. "That's the plan. Yes."

"What about the venom?"

A strange emotion began to unfold within her. Was she ready to go? She wondered. Will she be able to live somewhere far knowing she left everyone behind? Knowing people will suffer the consequences of the suicide pills she made? Knowing people are still fighting for freedom and what is right, and she did nothing but worsen the situation? Will she be able to sleep peacefully at night knowing she could've done something?