Chapter 19.

Nandini Murthy's POV

It was a start of a new month. Slowly and steadily,the winter was creeping now. The signs of it were clearly seen whenever the day turned into a new night. Although it was always cool in here due to the dense woods but from now on,it was even more cooler. The trees were shedding dry leaves immensely. There was a thick bed of leaves pooled around the house than usual,some layer of yellow-brown was also coated above the roof,which came to my notice when I was sauntering in the patio last night. The fall was never a trouble because the dry leaves were either swept away with the winter breeze or decayed into the ground gradually. The foggy early dawns,the dewdrops on the blades of meadows and the most important of it all, the shortening of the days, resulting into the long chilly nights. That's exactly what for,I admired winters.

Just like every year,I kept the stack of candle prepared for my routine use. It was like a tradition to me, replacing candles with the switch lights in order to keep the house warm. I couldn't afford buying as much candles as required to enlighten this huge villa. Therefore, I never donned the entire house with it but made sure to light the parts of moh which were mostly in use. I had tidied the house previous week so there was no dust in a view. Although an occasional layer of it appeared with the wind at the night time whenever the windows were opened but I managed to clean it off in time.

Speaking of windows, again we both came into another compromise i.e., to keep the windows open for sometime during the night because as per my housemate, a natural air is healthy to breathe for once. I was reluctant to this idea before but he then convinced me that there were already a little to no light penetrating inside this house,so there was no need for me to create fuss about his appeal when he was ready to comply with it. I had to abide with his request because he put forth the issue of the dull lighting of the surroundings. He found them very gloomy. Despite his denial for the dim lights in the house,I stubbornly held my ground to keep them intact and in lieu of it he asked me for the ventilation of natural air atleast for the night time since I am hostile about a daylight.

Right now he was inside his room,he might be busy with his work and I let him be. I was in the kitchen, checking the cabinets. I discovered that we were running out of grocery. That implied, now I was needed to go to the supermarket.

The mere thought of returning to city crowd made me shudder. I do not wish to go amidst the people. I never liked the idea of mingling along with human figures alike me. Not like I had some grudges against them or they did something bad to me but I just couldn't stand to people. To kill his time, whatever the oldman ever talked about or rather wept about to me,it left no good impression about human kind over me. I was atleast distant but my supposedly grandpa did like bonding with others which done nothing worth to him. At the end, his acquaintances,his companions,his wife and his family,all left him to grieve alone to death. If this was how binding with people suppose to end then what was the meaning of all these? For the umpteenth time I would like to admit to be contented with the way of my living, minus the housemate I had for now.

Discarding all the thoughts from my mind,I began ascending the stairs to return to my room. After entering inside,I walked up to my closet and opened it. In search of my shawl,I digged out everything yet couldn't find where exactly it was kept. Then in the further corner,I saw the woolen thread peaking out behind one of my old dress. I lifted it aside and caught my shawl out from there. Placing it on the edge of the bed,I started clearing everything that I drawn out. One after the other I kept all the things back where they existed. Satisfied with the properly settled cupboard,I shut it close.