08.

chapter eight: some positivity

A SENSE OF unease seems to poke at my brain as I clutch the cardboard holding my hot beverage all while trying to stay as still as I can.

Why did I agree to this, you may be asking? In truth, it was for two reasons.

The first one was me not wanting to be in the house with Taehyung. We'd be alone together, as Jae's already gone back home again. However, the time for us to actually sit down and talk to each other properly is fast approaching either way.

The second reason is genuinely out of pure fear. I know it's a bit iffy, but the look he had in his eyes haunted me for a long time.

What is even scarier, is that this isn't the same man I saw yesterday, who stared me dead in the eye. This one is kind and humming quietly to himself as he briefly sketches me just so he can 'see what we're starting with'.

I know. From the owner of a law firm to sitting in a cafe. How unrealistic could this get?

"I'm done now." He monotonously announces.

He turns the sketch pad over so I can see it, and all the tense muscles in my body immediately relax.

It isn't too bad, but then again, it is only a light sketch so we can get familiar.

"What happens now?" I ask. "And my payment? Let's not forget it's my time you're using. Favour or not, I'm still your boss and I've still got a business to run."

"Of course." He breathes, smiling slightly. I noticed how his eyes seemed to disappear with the squint of the smile. "With my entry comes a beginner's prize of one million won. We can share it equally."

Now I feel bad for asking. "I don't have to take your money off of you. I just needed to be sure you were serious about this and not trying to sabotage me somehow."

We both move towards the door, ready to leave. His sketchpad is under the arm holding his duffle bag and the pencil he used is now resting on his left ear. "Now why would I go wasting my time on something like that?"

I walk out first, getting whatever message he may be passing on and try not to bring it up again. "Would you like a lift?"

"Thank you."

-

"I'm home," I call out, placing my car's keys on its hanger before kicking off my shoes to carry inside.

"Yay." Responds in a sarcastic voice.

Taehyung, dressed in pyjamas, stalks out, an empty dish in his hands, meaning he'd probably eaten before I came in.

That reminds me. "We need to talk," I say, sitting on one of the couches.

He looks at me sceptically but sits on the one opposite.