10.

chapter ten: eight years ago

I LIGHTLY TAPPED my fingers against the trackpad of my laptop. I was already six years into studying law, so what could be stressing me out right now?

Jung Hoseok.

My first ex-boyfriend was two heads in front of me, as one could describe the seating arrangement in an auditorium. I watched his head bob up and down only slightly as he seemed to scribble something down before quickly typing it up on a word document.

From afar, he seemed like a normal student. Diligently paying attention to the lecturer's monotone voice droning on and on in the background and taking notes of his own. But deep down, I, and maybe three to four other girls in this room know how he really is. Manipulative and emotionally draining person to be around. The typical heartbreaker.

I then slowly moved my gaze to the person seated right next to him. They were holding hands under the table, tightly, and it made me do the same to the pencil in my free hand. My best friend.

I was only three months into that relationship. Three. Months.

I felt the tears start to glaze my eyeballs, and the skin on my face began to heat.

"Forget him. This is the second time today," Mark hushed, staring at me with a slightly annoyed expression, nudging me in the shoulder a little.

"I should." I mused, my eyes still not shifting away in the direction of the very person I wasn't supposed to think about.

It felt like he'd seen me differently, mainly because we lasted way longer than he usually spends with anyone, but I shouldn't have thought myself special.

Especially when he abandoned me at that club the night of my birthday.

"Aera." His voice snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Sorry, I zoned out again."

"I was just asking if you wanted to go somewhere with me this evening?"

"Depends." I hummed, squinting my eyes at my best friend's suspiciously sheepish face.

"How about I make it a surprise? You'd never know."

"Mark," I say, rolling my eyes at him, packing my stuff.

"So I'll see you this evening?"

"Only if my parents don't catch me."

The last time Mark invited me out, it was a crazy surprise party to make me get over Hoseok. It happened to be thrown the day after I'd ended things with him, so I almost blacked out trying to study.

Never again. Ever.

When I got back to my suite, I showered and decided to go simple, and wore grey sweats and a black T-shirt with my thick heeled converses.