26.

chapter twenty-six: back and bad as ever

⋆。˚ ⋆

daniel

"I'M SURPRISED YOU'RE actually back already," Aera says, fingers mindlessly fiddling with her chopsticks.

I, on the other hand, do not follow this childish action and instead place a portion of meat on my plate.

"To be fair, it was meant to be a surprise," I say. "And that's what surprises are. Surprising."

She rolls her eyes at me and gets her own portion.

"Nice to see your rudeness never leaves you."

I place a hand on my chest in faux offence and sigh. "It's not rudeness, but sarcasm. Daniel sarcasm."

We continue to chat a little more. A little while later, I decide to call for some more meat.

"Enough about me, more about you, my dear sister." I'm playful at first, wrapping an arm around her shoulder and watching as she pushes it away, but I notice her change in expression. "How are you holding up?"

"I'm fine."

"You're not, though," I say, placing a hand on hers. "I see the way you keep zoning out. And I know it's something you usually do, but it's never this excessive. It's all the time."

She doesn't answer but her sadness speaks enough words for me to understand.

I know that bastard is the cause of her pain and I will not stop till I get to the bottom of it.

-

It's three in the morning and I'm thirsty as hel-heck. I wonder where she keeps the good cups.

Way too lazy to bother with finding a light switch, I blindly stumble around in the darkness. I find one, quench my thirst and sigh with satisfaction. But, my momentary bliss is just that- momentary.

I squint a little till I notice that there is a source of light somewhere on the other side of the kitchen, right behind the wall.

I slowly walk towards it, trying my best not to let my feet make any sound on the cold, wood floorboards.

Sitting on the couch with his head resting on one hand while the other hand holds an empty glass cup- a much fancier one than what I just used (so that's where they went!). He notices me within seconds of me seeing him, but he doesn't necessarily react. At first, it's a glance with a side eye, then he sighs deeply and slaps his hands on his knees.

"Are you really running away from me again?" I scoff as he walks toward the exit where the opening of the hallway is.

"I'm not 'running'. I simply don't want to be around you. I don't even know what you're doing in my house-"

"Your house? Don't make me laugh, Kim." I move closer to him and lower my voice. "What are you hiding? Because you only act like this when you're guilty as sin."

"Can you not?"

He attempts to push past me but I manage to stop him in time by using one arm to push his shoulder so he stumbles back.

"Take a seat."

He obeys and sceptically sits on the sofa. I sit on the arm of the one opposite.

"I'm only going to ask this once. And don't you dare start playing those stupid mind games with me." I say, putting my hands together. "What did you do to my sister?"

"What do you mean?" He asks, puzzled.

"I just told you not to play those games. I suggest you don't get me upset so I don't mess you up here and now. You wouldn't want Aera to wake up, now would you?"

He only blinks at me and I wait for him to speak.

"I don't know what you're asking me, Kang. Can I go back to bed please?"

"Come on, Kim. We both know you know. So, speak up and say the truth."

"I don't know."

"You're lying and I can tell." I taunt.

"I don't know, okay?!"

I shush him with a small smile. "You're yelling. You're gonna wake her up. Now, tell me the truth."

"What truth?!" He asks impatiently.

"Okay, listen. I won't tell her and I'll try not to get angry. It can't be that bad, so tell me. Did you cheat?"

"What?"

"Did you lie to her?" I trail off.

"I don't un-"

"Did you hit her?"

"I didn't do it, okay?!" He blurts suddenly. It sounds like something he wanted to get off his chest for quite some time. My facial expression relaxes and I look him in the eye.

"Didn't do what, Kim?"

"Nothing."

That does it for me. I grab him by the neck with one arm and it shows that the only strength he has definitely isn't physical as he grips my tightening hands.

"I can't-I can't-"

"Shut up and tell me what you didn't do, Kim, before I actually get angry and kill you right here and right now. I don't think you understand, but I hate the person who hurts my sister, so it's better you tell me what you didn't do before I find out for myself and make sure you can't walk straight for a year."

"Fine, fine." He whispers, tapping my hands lightly.

"Jae shot the artist kid."

"Her friend?"

"You could call him that." He mutters, rubbing his neck a little and wincing.

But I can't care less. "And you let him?"

"I didn't know, I swear! He struck a deal to kill him."

"So, it was planned? With who?"

"Sicheng."

"You're brother associates with him?"

"Kang, it has nothing to do with me, okay?"

"What do you mean?" I ask, my hands on his shoulders. "You're just as guilty as he is. Tell her. You have to."

He shakes his head. "It's not that easy."

"Then make it easy."

Later in the morning, I decide to leave. I can't stay here, the environment is disgusting and makes me feel physically sick.

Aera comes downstairs just as I'm about to leave. I hug her tightly and console her.

"I'm sorry my stay had to be cut short. Something came up at work." I say, briefly glancing at Taehyung who's stood at the corner of the room, He stares right back at me, a look of stress in his eyes.

"That's okay. Stay in contact alright?" She smiles weakly.

I lean forward, gently pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"He's sick. Leave him when you can."

I walk out of the door, only turning once to wave at her again, but much to my disappointment, she's no longer standing there.

He is.