12.

chapter twelve: honey

BY NOW I'VE already noticed that the painful tension between Taehyung and me has lessened. Of course, it's only by a little bit, but I'm grateful he was listening to me in the car yesterday, and not just staring into my soul for the fun of it.

He is a little nicer, if you could say that and overall a bearable person to be around. However, his absence at home didn't change. As always, he's gone when I wake up and asleep when I'm back home.

"You're smoking indoors again," I sigh, standing akimbo.

"Did you come here just to nag at me?" He raises an eyebrow and gracefully breathes smoke out, pulling the same stunt from the time I spoke to him at the car park. He doesn't pause the game but instead continues to keep his focus.

I'm quicker this time and expected it, turning away before it can choke me to death again.

"Let's not forget whose house you're seated in," I say firmly, taking it out from between his fingers and putting it out on the ashtray. He's actually supposed to be waiting to speak with Taehyung, so God knows how long he'll be here.

"I called for some help," I say into the phone in my hand, walking away after some time.

I take a seat on my bed, lying down as soon as I feel a comfortable dip in the mattress.

I notice the beautiful design on my walls and remember how I've now grown to enjoy it once it dried. Memories of him chasing me with the paint roller and Hoseok smacking him almost make me laugh out loud. All the furniture is neutral-toned to match my preferences, including the velveteen bedsheets. What does intrigue me, however, is the large golden frame with a blank canvas. This was Yoongi's wordless addition, but I decided against asking him about it then.

"So, what is it you need help with?" Daniel snaps at me.

"Well, since you're pretty experienced in this field yourself, I just want to know which dress would fit me the best. It's a formal party thing, by the way."

"I never said I worked in the fashion industry." He says, with annoying Daniel sarcasm. "But I'll see what I can do."

I pull out each of the six dresses and he analyses each one without having me wear them. They range from various designs to various colours, and it surprises me when he even turns down the black one.

"That one. Wear that one."

I can't help but raise a number of questions in my mind as by now, he has gotten bored and is scrolling through his phone again, the tip of his finger grazing the screen every so often and his fat face pressed up close, a smile appearing every so often. Meaning he's told me to wear the dress without even looking at it.

"Are you...sure?"

"You wouldn't be asking me for my help if you didn't trust me. Besides, I'm your brother and I hate you."

Touche.

"Okay? Thanks. Are you sure you don't want to come along? I may need the moral support."

"Yeah, no. It's not my type of setting. I'll probably chill for a bit and then head out later on."

"Sure thing. Don't forget to lock up once you leave." He's taken one of my older houses and it happens to be a dangerous neighbourhood.

"Whatever. Have fun."

I jibe quietly, ending the video call, and after taking another shower, I try on the dress he had blindly advised me to wear.

It is red and silk textured, with thin straps and a slightly low neckline, dangerously stopping mid-thigh. As I turn in the mirror and see how much of my back it shows, a memory I thought I could only suppress for so long pops into my mind.

"What do you think of my dress, Mark?" I smiled, twirling a little.

To my surprise, he frowned. "You look like a prostitute. Look, you're back is overexposed. He pointed at the material.

"I can't go to the party knowing you'd be of excessive attention, Aera."

"I'm doing this because I love you."

Love. Blood filled my mouth and dripped out of my nose, because of love?

If that's love, I hate it more than anything in this world.

I grab onto the edge of my vanity table to steady myself just as nausea and dizziness fill me.

Shutting my eyes tight, I try to stop my mind, but I can't. It's like I'm being consumed.

"Oh really?" He challenged, stepping closer and closer with his arm raised high in the air-

"Aera?" A baritone voice I recognise to be Taehyung's rang from outside.

He pushes open the door, shielding his gaze.

"Are you ready? It's almost time."

Still trying to control my breathing, I remain quiet. He slowly removes his hands from his eyes.

"What are you doing? Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," I say. "I'm not done, so please leave me alone."

"You don't look fine."

"I said I'm fine! Now, go away."

"Is there something you aren't telling me?" He asks quietly. "Let's not forget that we're going to be together for a long time, so this can't happen all the time without you explaining it."

"You weren't interested in my business before?" I scoff. "What makes it so interesting now?"

"I'm trying, okay?" He exclaims. "Was it not you who pointed out the way I treated you? Am I not trying?"

I finally turn around to face him. He isn't dressed to go yet, instead in a pair of loose slacks, a white inner t-shirt and a beige, button-up cardigan. His face is deep-set into a frown, a single arm raised as he points at me accusingly.

"Answer me, am I?"

"Don't yell at me please," I whisper. "I'm just not ready to talk about it. You really want to force me?"

I see his anger fade and he looks away from me. "I'll excuse you."

I thank him and try to practise my breathing exercises.