46.

chapter forty-six: self-resentment

⋆ ˚。⋆

yoongi

ANYONE AT THIS point would be very excited. Who's to say I'm not? I most definitely am, just not for the right reasons.

It's been about two weeks since Yuna's baby was born. A beautiful, bouncing baby girl that I hope to prove doesn't belong to me. The document stating the truth is in my hands as we speak.

"Be quick, Yoongi. The guests are already here." She says, softly bouncing the baby on her knee as she feeds her.

She decided to host an after-party for the naming ceremony. Quite a few people are invited despite it being a formal event, but I still need to make an appearance as the 'father' of the baby.

I take a deep breath, hands trembling slightly as I peel open the envelope. Yuna doesn't seem fazed which is starting to irk me.

I read past all the legal information in the fine print.

"...yada yada yada...the father of the baby is-"

Wait a minute. This can't be right.

"Is this some type of joke?" I ask angrily.

"What? What is it?" Yuna asks.

"It's-It's me," I say. "I'm the father."

-

I don't want to be here. I wish I could leave him out of my life as some sort of dull, old memory, but even I know that I can't do something like that.

No, we need to tie loose ends. The closure is what I'm looking for.

I still can't help the numerous questions that run through my mind. Granted, I have the satisfaction I need. I've got the notebook literally in my back pocket. But it still feels like something is missing.

I raise my fist and modestly knock on the door. Within about a minute or two, Yuna opens it.

She looks different, but not by too much. Just a little extra weight I'll take as baby fat and she's back to being a (quite nicely) bleached blonde. She's dressed in a thick, grey sweater dress with an even thicker folded turtle neck and a pair of black leggings underneath.

I clear my throat awkwardly and thankfully, Taehyung does the talking. "Congratulations."

"Thank you." She gives him a brief smile and then looks at me, all while lightly tapping the baby's lower back with the hand keeping it stable over her shoulder. "Would you guys like to come in?"

I look over to Taehyung for a split second, then agree. We take our shoes off and quietly walk in.

There's a small 'lake' of guests present, most of which I don't recognise. We approach the large sofa and Taehyung takes a seat.

Looking up at me, he asks, "Why aren't you sitting down?"

"We didn't come here to sit around," I mutter, searching for an exit in the room. Sure enough, there's a set of french doors leading to a staircase. "Wait here."

Before he can argue with my decision, I walk straight to the doors. I have minimal time as I left Hanuel with a nanny as Hoseok is out at work. The last thing I want to do is be gone for way too long.

I climb the flight of stairs as quietly as I can and find myself on the first floor of the house. It's where the rooms are located, specifically the room I'm looking for.

I slowly walk through the hallway. It's a nice house, I'll give her that. The Plaster of Paris work done around the chandelier is artisan, funnily enough not her style.

But that doesn't matter right now. The notebook is what I need to focus on.

A few more deadly minutes go by before I locate the room I'm looking for. Specifically, her bedroom.

I immediately find the locked cabinet and attempt one of the three combinations Taehyung gave me.

0-4-0-8

It works immediately. Still in shock due to how fast it worked, I failed to notice that another person had joined me in the room.

"Aera?"

I jump and slowly turn around to find, "Yoongi?"

He scoffs. "What the heck are you doing in here?"

I'll admit it. While I should be upset to see him here in the first place, I do look more suspicious than ever. I'm on my knees at the dressing table (cabinet) and almost breaking it apart.

I soon remember my mission and continue searching as I speak. "None of your business."

"I'd like to think it is now. I could easily call Yuna up here."

I roll my eyes but I do so making sure he can't see me do it. "So she can do what?"

"I know you're looking for it." He responds. I turn around almost immediately and notice the very item I'm searching for in his hand. "Why would you want it?"

He asks that question breathily, as if in actual despair. He probably hates what's going on as much as I do and most likely couldn't comprehend the reason I'd need it.

"You wouldn't understand. Just give it to me."

"And watch you get hurt? No."

I take a deep breath to avoid screaming. "Yoongi, just give it to me and I'll be on my way."

"That's what I don't want you to do. Leave me behind again."

"Again?" I scoff in bewilderment. "Again? Says the man who faked his death just to get away from me. Do you know what that did to me, Yoongi? You ruined me."

He looks shameful as he stares at me. His eyes are sad, full of disappointment and worst of all- self-resentment.

"What's going on? What's wrong with you? You happily left me back then, so why can't you just leave me alone?" I ask, getting to my feet and approaching him. "What do you want from me? My money?"

He looks like he's just been slapped. "No! I-I would never-"

"Then leave me alone," I say, snatching the book out of his hands and walking away, ignoring the tears running down my cheeks despite them starting to blur my vision.