38.

chapter thirty-eight: the big day

MY MINI BREAK from life is over before I know it. With my new pass-time, there's nothing like maternity leave. Or any leave, come to think of it. Not that I'd want one.

If there's any way to take my mind off of the dark cloud whose heavy weight I can feel looming over my life, it's some sort of emotional expression.

I chose to paint. It's nothing new, but it's another way I can healthily preserve my memory of Yoongi. It might as well distract me from those letters.

I haven't received one since the last one that arrived, the one I showed Leah.

But on a happier note, my birthday is coming up. It's exciting, I won't lie, especially because it will be the first one I'll be celebrating properly for the first time ever. Hoseok promised to make it my special day, with my help of course.

We decided to host the party at home in the backyard since it's nice and hot. He promised to get the pool sorted out and it's going to be a barbecue. He plans to invite friends of his own including clients and Leah since I don't really know many people I can call actual friends. If I could, I would've invited Yoongi as well. He'd love it.

"What do we need?" I ask, one hand holding the surface of my swollen stomach. I'm now seven months along and I'm beginning to feel heavier and heavier. "The list you sent me is a little confusing."

Hoseok laughs a little and I frown playfully. "We'll need the usual barbecue stuff. Chicken, sausages, burger beef, lamb, ribs, chips-"

"Yeah, but I'm talking about the barbecue itself."

"Oh, don't worry about that." He smiles. I watch as he bends down and pulls up a bag of chopped wood and other materials. "I got them already so you wouldn't have to worry about it."

"Alright, thanks," I say. "Have you got any clients today?"

"No. Why?"

"Can we stay in tonight? Like, watch a movie or something?"

"Yeah, sure. Anything to make you happy. Your big day is tomorrow."

We say our goodbyes and end the call. Just as we do so, a familiar yet powerful surge of pressure builds up in my back and makes its way through my stomach. I groan in slight pain and lean against the trolly, eyes tightly shut and the hand that once lay softly on my stomach not gripping the material clothing it. All I feel is the throbbing pain until I hear a voice.

"Are you okay? Do you need some help or- Aera?"

My eyes immediately snap open and I stagger backwards. Catching me as quick as she can is Yeri, someone I never thought I'd ever have to see again. She glances at my stomach almost longingly and then quickly looks at me. I snatch myself away from her grasp and clear my throat before apologising quietly. I let her know that I'm fine and try to continue onward with my shopping.