Chapter Nineteen: You and I

I was shoved roughly back into my cell. I jumped up immediately and banged on the cell door.

"What do you want?" Waller spoke calmly as she came around the corner.

"What do you mean what do I want?" I spat,

"I know you have to want something. You did save the world after all, what do you want?" She asked,

"Really?" I cocked my head and studied her,

She nodded.

"You could stop hitting me." I said,

"Pick something else." Waller shrugged,

I smirked, "Right. Why do you like to hit me so much anyway? What did I do to you? Or do you just do this to everyone?"

"I don't do it to everyone." Waller shook her head, "You're special like that."

"Boy am I lucky." I said sarcastically, "What did I do?"

"We aren't here to talk about you and I." She said, "We're here to talk about what you want."

I crossed my arms, "A few things."

"Let's hear it." She gave me the floor.

"I want to see Harley." I started, "At least twice a week." I said,

"Fine." She nodded,

"Really?" I said, "Wow ok. I want a change of clothes. My clothes."

"Sure." She said, "New clothes every now and then."

"And" I paused, "I want you to tell me what I did."

She raised an eyebrow and after a pause said, "Fine."

She scanned her keycard and my cell door slid open. She entered, and it slammed closed behind her. I thought about killing her right there, but then I wouldn't get to see Harley. And I would never know why she hated me so much.

"You wanna sit down?" Waller asked,

"Ah yes, welcome to my humble home." I gestured for her to sit.

She sat on the bed, and I sat on the floor on the opposite wall.

"Before I start, I want you to tell me about you." She started, "Tell me the full story, from your perspective, about how you ended up here the first time."

"You want to know... about that?" I asked, "Why?"

"Just tell me." Waller said,

I frowned, "This isn't a therapy session."

"Do you want answers or not?" Waller huffed,

"You know already. It was my first kill. A senator. I had to do it to prove myself to my boss at the time, the one before Joker." I said,

"You wanna tell me about Selena?" She said,

"No." I responded truthfully,

"Say it." Waller demanded,

*********************************************************************************

I stood on the rooftop, looking out over the parade. There were several politicians and celebrities, but I was just focused on the one. I didn't know much about politics, I just knew he was my mission. My earpiece went off. It was Selena telling me she was in position.

"You ready?" I asked,

"Obviously." I could hear her smile through the earpiece, "Don't miss."

I smirked, "I never do."

She laughed, "Whatever."

"Hey." I said, a note of concern, "Be safe ok? You're more important than this mission."

"I know." She replied cheekily,

"I'm serious." I said, then, "I love you."

"I know that too." She giggled, "I love you too."

I looked through my binoculars across the street. She was in position. I could see her colorful blue hair from here.

"You know, you aren't very subtle with your hair." I said,

"Would you please shut up and focus?" She laughed,

I smiled and bent down, looking at the Senator through my gunsight. I was just fourteen. I pulled the trigger. I'd be fifteen in three days.

*************************************************************************

"Do you know the name of that Senator?" Waller asked,

"No." I admitted,

"It was Waller." Waller said quietly,

"What?" My head snapped up,

"He was my brother." She explained,

"He-" I trailed off, "I killed- your brother?"

"Yes." Waller said, "Now you know."

She stood up to leave.
"Hey!" I stopped her, "You know why I had to kill him?"

"I don't really care." Waller growled,

"My sister was in the hospital." I continued anyway, "We didn't have the money to pay for her asthma treatment. My brother tried to take care of both of us. My dad was gone. Ran off when I was little. I've never even met him. And my mom... she tried at first. But after a while it got to be too much. She was drunk all the time. My brother was trying to get custody of me and my sister. And then he died."

Waller paused. Her face softened slightly, "How did he die?"

I sighed, "He had three jobs. It still wasn't enough for my sister. The treatment was so expensive. I couldn't legally get a job at thirteen. But I knew we needed the money. I started small, just pickpocketing little things. Watches, jewellery. There was a pawn shop near our house. I'd sell it all there. My brother found out and told me to stop. Turns out he wasn't so innocent himself. He got desperate. He wanted to keep me out of trouble. He got in with a rough crowd, selling drugs. It kept us going, for a while. And then he got caught. He didn't fight the police, but the other guy did. They both got shot."

Waller listened intently. I would never describe her as a kind person, but at least she wasn't being horrible at that moment.

"I'm sorry." Waller said, "I guess you and I aren't so different."

I chuckled, "I guess not."

"My brother was building a program for kids like you." Waller said, "It would have taken care of your sister."

I let my head fall against the wall behind me, "Ironic. You and I just go in circles hurting each other. We didn't even know at the time."

"Funny." Waller said.

"My sister died." I said finally.
"From asthma?" Waller asked,

I nodded.
"It was that serious?" Waller questioned.

"It was triggered by anxiety. It was months after our brother died. She found out what I was doing to pay for her treatment. It was just too much for her. The hospital was underfunded anyway. The nurses got there too late." I finished,

"And then..." Waller said,

"Selene turned me in." I said,

Waller stood up, "I can't forgive you yet."

"That's fair." I nodded,

"But I do understand you." She finished,

"I don't forgive you either." I said, referring to my wounds, "But at least we understand one another."

Author's Note: No Harley in this chapter, but at least you get some backstory.