17. New Kinds of Feelings

"Cyra!" Minu yelled from the bottom of her lungs and the two mermaids sitting on the rocks were startled by hearing a loud scream from the sky. Luckily, they looked behind them as well and quickly jumped into the ocean as they saw the dangerous men behind them. As Minu flew closer towards the scene, the men quickly fled but threw the buckets with the dark liquid into the ocean. The fairy's eyes widened as she lunged forward and dove down deep enough so she was underneath the liquid. Minu held her breath as she summoned a spell without words.

It took Minu all magical knowledge since the students weren't able to conjure powerful, their own power-related spells yet, but she tried her best to contain the thick, dark liquid in a crystal ball.

Minu watched the crystal fragments built around the dangerous black haze in the water as bubbles escaped her mouth – her air was about to run out.

Just in time the disco ball-like construction was finished and Minu tried her best to swim up but her powers gave up on her, her eyes went black. Only a moment later glistening bubbles wrapped around her body and the mermaids came to catch the crystal orb so it wouldn't crash on the surrounding corals while Cyra looked up at her best friend, her mouth wide open. "The sea goddess' gift..."

The fairy blinked as she regained consciousness and looked at the mermaids who had a hard time carrying the crystallized ball.

"Cyra!" Minu called out in shock and cupped her mouth, flabbergasted by how clear her voice came out and looked at down at herself only now realizing she changed into a mermaid – bikini top and fin and all.

Cyra smiled at her broadly. "You acted in the favor of the sea goddess, so the universe granted you a new power!" Minu blinked and swam towards them, barely moving though due to not knowing how to work out the fin yet. "What- what do you mean? Is this a transformation? I have no idea-" she stopped as she felt a soft breeze against her as she swam forward, but there are no breezes underwater, so she held up her left hand and spoke against it. "Hello? He- I can kind of feel my voice. What's going on here?!"

The other mermaid next to Cyra repositioned her arm under the heavy orb and smiled at the princess. "Our voices work like yours but echo location is also added so our voices can be clearly heard underwater. Amazing, isn't it?"

Cyra nodded towards the huge ball in their arms. "Hey, could you give this a lift with your magic? We can't hold it forever." Minu chuckled and held her forehead before stretching out her palms. "I'm so sorry," the orb seemed to float in the water, surrounded by glittery fragments and Minu looked at Cyra, "care to explain why I'm a mermaid?"

The mermaid giggled and threw her a finger gun. "It's called the sea goddess' gift, Atlantix. You haven't heard of it yet?" Minu shook her head, letting her best friend continue.

"The myth says the merfolk was never in the human's favor, they never liked them and hurt mermaids – simply out of jealousy, so the sea goddess Thamis conjured a spell so powerful upon every fairy that if they're good and help the sea creatures from threats from above the surface, deeming worthy of a loyal ally, they'd receive what they desired and were so jealous of – being able to breath underwater. But not everyone can receive Atlantix, only people home to Andros or fairies who are blessed with any type of water-centered magic can reach this transformation. Not only that, but the power grants the fairy four wishes." Cyra pointed at Minu's wings and she looked over her shoulder, seeing four pearls dangling off her small wings.

"You can wish for four things, there are no rules and morals bound to them – you can wish for anything." Cyra finished the explanation and Minu sighed, overwhelmed by getting two new transformations in the span of ten minutes, but soon remembered the dangerous disco ball floating in front of her. "Okay, let's first get this on the shore. I'll have to talk to Florence about this. Or any other fairy who knows a lot about the magic I didn't know anything about before..."