Dying Flame

"We are gathered here today, to witness the burial of Wyatt Andrew Matthews. Before we begin, would anyone like to say any words?" The priest asked and Sydney stood up "Oh, Ms.Matthews. Please, come on up" The priest welcomed. Sydney walked up and looked at the picture of her dad before walking to the podium where the mic was, "Um, my dad was the type of person who was unpredictable. You never knew what he would do or say next, and that's how he was and would always be with anyone, even me. He never really cared what other had to say, he was a "self care" type of person. But he always made sure that the people he loved were safe, especially me. He never liked me out of the house, he always said that I have to be careful. And I never understood why, but now I do. It was because he wasn't being controlling, it's because he cared. He always said he was protecting me for my own good but I never believed him. The house I live in never felt like home, cause I believed home was a place for comfort and love. And I never got that, but I realized I actually did. Him protecting me was his love and care, I always felt like a prisoner but he never wanted me to. He wanted me to feel like his daughter he just never understood how I felt, or where I was coming from. But he always knew that I was right most of the time with my feelings but he also never really wanted me to be hurt. He thought he was right about me, and I don't want to sound like a monster. But he was wrong, he never really took the time to see things from my side. But overall he was a caring guy for everyone else, he knew how to keep those who truly needed it safe. And he was never afraid of what others said, he was a good guy, an amazing husband for the most part but.. He was a great dad. He cared but in his own little way" Sydney spoke. Sydney stepped down as the priest asked if anyone else would want to speak. No one did so he moved on, "Hey, you okay?" Griffin whispered "Yeah, I am" Sydney reassured.

One hour later...

Sydney and Griffin got home and Sydney took her coat off and placed it on the couch, Griffin hugged Sydney and she sighed. "Why was that so hard?" Sydney asked "It was a funeral. They aren't supposed to be fun" Griffin chuckled "True. I'm just not used to it" Sydney said breaking the hug "Who really can get used to funerals or loss. It hits different depending on who it is" Griffin reassured. Sydney walked out to their bedroom and changed out of her outfit and into her pajamas. "Do you wanna watch a movie?" Griffin asked walking in "I kinda just want to sleep" Sydney said "Okay. Come on" He said patting the bed. Sydney climbed under the covers and Griffin cuddled her "Things will get easier. You'll get through this. I know you will" Griffin reassured "Yeah, thanks babe" Sydney said smiling "Don't thank me. We both know it;s true. This hurts for now but soon you'll be able to move on. Loss is a part of life, it's normal. You just have to keep moving"