Chapter 3: Something remaining hidden

Sampurna went inside with Sohini. She recalled what Trilochan has said to her.. "Sampurna Bahu don't let them know that our other bahu is a barrister.. it'll have bad impression." Sampurna didn't understand why it'll have bad impression because as she heard the mindset of people is progressive nowadays. Nevertheless she isn't an educated woman so she  needn't think of all these.

"To Satyapriya Babu... the marriage is final I suppose.."
"Trilochan Babu let her come... here Women give the final verdict na... "
"R a what verdict will women give.. it's final from my side.."
"Ok Trilochan Babu... accha.... what.. matlab.. what do you demand during marriage.."
"R a Satyapriya Babu.. society is developing... we don't demand much.. you'll give us your daughter.. we'll have a good friendly relation... that's only our demand....."
"Yes friendly relation.. of course" Chatterjee exchanged sights with his son. Then he looked at Trilochan sarcastically and he also gave similar looks in return.

"To Sohini what you love to do?" Asked Sampurna
"She loves stitching... her embroidery is wonderful.. will I show you..." her Aunt interfered from behind.
"I beg your pardon but I asked Sohini.. please let her answer... yes Sohini.."
Sohini kept silent for a while.. then replied slowly in a low tone followed by a pinch from behind.. "yes... yes.. I love stitching"
Sampurna looked around. She saw some books on the table.
"You read Sohini??"
Her aunts got shocked.
"No no .. she don't read... it's her brother's books..."
Sohini looks at the books. Then notices her mother behind the curtains. Her eyes become teary.
"Sohini?" Sampurna asked
"Yes... I mean... I know to read a bit but .. but there is no time left to practice it after household works.."
Her aunts sighed in relief. She told exactly how they taught her. This offer is a big offer. Here the business of their husbands will flourish and this girl will get down from over their head.
Sohini kept her head low all the while. Sampurna could sense something. "Sohini? Do you want to marry? Are you willing? Will you be happy?"
"R a Sampurna ji... what are you asking.. which girl likes to leave her home... but its girl's duty na... girl's life.. even if she don't want to she have to go... we cried too.. but we too got married na... it's a girl's life..."
"Yeah... that's true... but..." Sampurna looked at Sohini. What can she do... it's final from the men's side. What she's doing is just a show off formality.. so that Anirudh can't say that the girl wasn't asked before.

"Bondita where is my watch..."
"You are so grown up and you can't manage your watch too... I told you to get things ready tomorrow only but no janab ko to ashiqi larwana hain..."
Anirudh looks at her. "Accha?? And you have no.." Bondita put fingers on his lips.
"Your watch" Bondita put the watch in his hand and tried to leave.
Anirudh hold her hands. "My coat..."
Bondita became shy. She took the coat and made him wear it.
"There's marriage in the house and you are leaving.. does it look good?"
"I know Bondita... kaka has stopped talking with me ever since... but court will not hear to my these excuses na.."
"What was the need of taking case in Delhi court?!"
"The case is very interesting Bondita.. and how will I know that its hearing date will fall in this date. I'll return by Boubhat na..."
Bondita sighed.. "I've arranged your bag... just check.."
"I needn't check..." Anirudh smiled at her. He hold her face and kissed on her forehead. "Take care Bondita..."
"Yes I will..."
"Chote malik.." Bihari came from behind.

Anirudh got up the car. He looked up. Bondita was standing in the balcony waving slowly at him. Anirudh smiled and waved.
"Return by boubhat.. understand"
"Yes kaka I will"

It's the marriage day. All are very busy. All running here and there. The groom and bride will arrive soon.
The snakh blew. "Bor Bou ase gache.." (bride and groom have arrived..)

All got busy. Sohini and Somnath stood at the doorway. Sohini have kept her head low. Sampurna handed over the borondala to Bondita.
"Sampurna didi?!"
"No Bondita... take it... you deserve it.."
"But.."
"Go.. they are waiting go.."
Bondita came with the Borondala and welcomed them.

In the basor rat all were joking and mocking Somnath but Sohini kept quite with her head low.
"Sohini?? What happened... don't be shy... " Bondita wanted to cheer Sohini up.
"R a see see the Bou's mukut is going behind bor's topor... it'll be a perfect relation"
"No.." objected Bondita. She moved her finger in the milk and made the mukut and topor go together.. "now this is a perfectly relation..."
Sohini saw this and looked up slowly at Bondita. Bondita gave a sweet smile at her. All other who know her just sighed and nodded their heads and those who don't know her got confused.

"Accha to Bondita today Anirudh is not home so let Sohini stay in your room. Jethji also suggested it..."
"Ok Sampurna didi... no problem... but today I've some work... so perhaps I can't... I'm sorry Sohini..."
"It's ok didi... I'll just sleep."

It's morning. Sohini came out from the Washroom wipping her head. She saw a man standing with his back towards her.
"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" Sohini shouted to the top of her voice.
Anirudh turned back and was shocked to see another woman in his room. He just got confused what to do..

"What happened...." Bondita Kaka and Sampurna came running.
"What are you doing here?!" Asked kaka..
"What kaka it's my room..."
"At this time you should not be here..."
"You only told me to return before Boubhat... well well I'm going.."
Sohini understood by now it's her jeth ji so she put her ghunghat.
"Ok... ok... you come with me.. I'm taking you clothes.."
"And..." Anirudh pointed towards the Washroom
"Yeah I'm taking your cosmetic company too... now go... that girl is standing frightened there.."
"Why? Why frightened?" He looked back. Sohini is standing in ghunghat. She's looking exactly the little Bondita he saw years ago. Then looked at his Bondita anw and smiled. Suddenly something struck on his mind. She looked like little Bondita. She again looked back. Sohini's face was visible. She is....
"Now come..." Bondita called whispering and took him holding his hand.

Bondita was arranging the clothes. Anirudh came out wipping his head. She looked at him. He looks so dashing in that bathrobe. Bondita gave him his shirt and started buttoning it.
"Something is not right Bondita.."
"What is not right?"
"The girl is not 16 at all..."
Bondita stopped buttoning and looked up at him.
"What?!"
"Yes.." Anirudh buttoned the left buttons and took the comb.
"What do you mean? How come you know?"
She had that innocent face...
He tuned back to see Bondita literally comming over him.
"R a Bondita.... "
"See see my face..."
"Yes I'm seeing..."
Anirudh literally was falling over the dressing table.
"Don't I look innocent?" Bondita asked with a childish smile on her face.
Anirudh sighed. "Back... Bondita... move back..."
"What?!"
"I'm not joking ok... remember I've saw you from childhood... I've saw you innocence going to maturity..."
"Accha? Really? In all these 8 years you didn't even see my face... you didn't only recognise me when I came back..."
Anirudh got clean bowled.
"Well.... I can't explain... but... but... but she's not 16..."
Bondita looked at him. Yes she defeated him in the arguement but he really felt something which she should cross check.