Chapter 13: Batuk aur Bondita ka kand

Sohini cuddled in her mother's lap.
"Your in laws look so good" commented her mother caressing her head
"They are good Ma... they are veryyyy good.. "
Somnath knocked at the door. Sohini got up and put on the veil.
"Sohini go..." whispered Sohini's mother.
Bondita entered the room behind him.
"Som dada..Today you sleep with your Dada..." Bondita commanded like a dominating sister does to her brother.
"Why? You quarreled?"
"What do you mean by YOU quarreled? Is it only me who quarrels? Is Bondita a quarrelling girl?? Bondita only quarrels because of your Dada's stupidity and teasings"
"You mean my Dada is stupid?" Giggled Somnath
"All men are"
"You mean I'm also stupid?"
"You are the stupidest one... now go to your Dada..."
"Dada will be heartbroken when he will see this monkey in place of his beauty"
"You understand yourself so well..."
"Yes I do..."
"Now go..."
"I'm speaking seriously Bondita... I mean Boudi... Dada will kick me out and come to take you..."
Bondita giggled... "then let him sleep alone... he is courageous enough..."
Somnath giggled

Sohini and her mother just stared at their giggling

"I'm going... " Somnath left.

Bondita sat on the bed and pulled down her veil
"Can I be with you tonight?" Asked Bondita
"Yes of course beti.."
Bondita folded up her legs. "You know Masima.... " Bondita started describing how her mother is too a widow and how her mami used to torture how... how she got married to Anirudh then became his partner in kranti, how he left her with her consent for greater good... how society wanted to murder her.. how Anirudh fled with her to London... how he stayed there alone for long 8 years... how she came back to see a war between her two home villages... how it was settled... how her sikshak babu became her darling babu.. how feelings changed.

Bondita continued her chattering. Sohini's mother just stared at her wandering on the change in dynamics of relation between Anirudh and Bondita over the years. She understood why Bondita is so friendly with Som and Batuk. Why she's so jolly. She is independent... in real sense of the term. The independence, the liberty Sohini's father dreamt for her. All called him a fool. But today she realised he wasn't a fool. His blessings are on his daughter and for his good works during his lifetime only perhaps she got such a good in law.

"Will my Sohini too study?" Sohini's mother asked slowly
"Of course Masima... "
"Will not anyone tell...."
"No one will say anything... no one will dare to... all saw me... all saw how I rose.. all are seeing how happy I'm today... "

Sohini's mother became emotional. Tear appeared on her eyes.
"Sohini's Baba dreamt to teach her... to make her a teacher... but... they killed......." she halted. Sohini looked up at her mother.
Bondita sqeezed her eyebrows "Killed?!"
"He wanted to built up a Girl's school... so.... "
"So they killed?"
"Can I trust you? I now can't keep it within myself anymore"
"Yes... you can trust me"

Sohini's mother got down the bed and locked the door.
"Her Baba was a very krantikari type of person, he had many enemies... dewarji took the chance and...." she whispered
"I understand" Bondita stopped her "I'm a Barrister... I can give him justice if you permit"
"No... no... then they'll try to harm my daughter... I can't get back my sindoor.. but if you really want to give him justice do try to accomplish his dreams"
"It'll be our pleasure Masima... "
"God have favoured this widow.. my daughter got such a good home.. my husband's dreams are getting fulfiled.. I want nothing more, but will your husband..."
"He will... but I will have to keep the news of murder a secret or... actually patibabu have a hot head.. he can do any kand.. so I have to be cautious on that part..."

Sohini started sobbing. Her mother hugged her tight. Bondita saw her mother will not be able to hold her tears back for long.
"Sohini will you go to the terrace?" Asked Bondita
"At this midnight"
"Yes... that's the adventure.. moonlit night sky studded with stars... all quiet outside... you know I used to sneek out of my hostel in London and go on an adventure with Chomu"
"Chomu?" Wandered Sohini
"A boy... not much courageous but he is my best friend... now why are you looking at me like this... don't think typical please... he only made me understand I'm in love with Sakha babu.. over the call... you know when I told him about Chomu he was sooo jealous..." giggled Bondita