Chapter 9: A visit to Gourbagan

At the dinner table
"Somnath be ready to go to Gourbagan tomorrow"
"Why Kaka?"
"Why means?! Don't you know you have your Astamangala tomorrow!"
"Astamangala...... ohh yess"
Kaka gave a hopeless stare at him.
"Anirudh you too be ready... we also have works in that taluk"
"But kaka I'll not be able to come.. I have a hearing"
"Then?! Who will manage the legal matters?"
"Take Bondita na... she have her final hearing tomorrow morning.. let Som and Sohini go in the morning.. then Bondita can go in the evening"

Batuk was nodding his head in an unknown rhythm and playing with the paneer and his fork

"BAHU! No Anirudh... and also I will not be able to go.. I'll sent Batuk in my place"

Batuk stopped playing with his fork and looked up in shock
"ME!!!"
"Yes you... today I tell you one thing Batuk... your Dada spend a lot to sent you abroad and study... you can't sit idle here and play with the paneer pieces... your elder brothers are all established.. Anirudh is a Barrister Som is a Doctor.. you will also have to be something"
Batuk lowered his head
"Kaka leave it na" intervened Anirudh
"No Anirudh he have to hear... he'll go to Gourbagan"
"Ok.. so let Batuk and Bondita go there"
"Anirudh! You aren't a kid... don't you know how odd it looks... what example will it set to Sohini Bahu's family"
"Kaka! They are so good friends.. they are like siblings.. why are you seeing things like this"
Batuk became uncomfortable.
"See Kaka.... you should think before saying these things... its uncomfortable for both of them... others are too here"
"Anirudh! Don't teach me... it's the truth.. Bondita Bahu will go with you..."

"Don't you trust me Kakasasurji?" Bondita questioned
"Bahu! When I said I don't trust you?"
"Doesn't these words means that only... that... that ... that you are doubting..." Bondita halted
"Bondita" Anirudh got up and went to her "he didn't mean that"
"Bahu.." Kaka called in a deep tone "you are not a kid anymore... I have told in societal perspective... it has nothing to do with doubting you, you are a barrister.. I hope you understand these things well "
"But do I even bothered society kakasasurji? If I would have bothered I would... I would have been DEAD by now"
"BONDITA" shouted Anirudh "shut up... don't ever dare to say that word infront of me.."
Bondita lowered her head, then started again in a firm tone "Kakasasurji I'll go with Batuk only... It will help him much... society can't even see a normal thing in a normal way... you know very well the relationship between me and Batuk... you allow us to be free at home too... then please do normalise this outside also..."
"Bahu... we have an esteem in the society... have to maintain it"
"But Kakasasurji..."
"No more words... you will go with Anirudh only"
"He wanted to me go in his absence... if I go with him...then is there any need to go at all?"
Kaka halted. Anirudh looked at Kaka with a sarcastic smile.
"Now answer Kaka..." Taunted Anirudh
"Aahhh.... hmmm... now......"
"Kakasasurji let the kids and Sampurna didi go with me... then I'll be with the kids and not with Batuk" suggested Bondita
"RIGHT!" Kaka suddenly found the point
"See Da how intelligent is our Bondita" praised Binoy...
"You go na with you wife and kids.." Kaka commented
"Da... then who will supervise the cloth factory "
"You didn't change at all Binoy"
Binoy adjusted his spectacles with a smile.
"Batuk is now grown up... he needs to handle it all.. Zamindari and the factory... lets see how he manages the zamindari..."

Batuk gulped. How can he tell that he's a llp... latak latak ke pass... he just passed by the pass marks and is not a Gold medalist like his brothers and his boudi. Bloody hell... now how will he manage... if he does some gondogol Dada will just kill him. If his disco starts then... uff what a bloody hell peoblem this is.

That night, Bondita is busy packing her bag. Anirudh is in study. She will have to go to him after packing to see the papers.

Batuk slowly entered the room.
"Boudi..."
Bondita looked back
"R a Batuk... "
"Boudi... I think my end is near"
"What?"
"Dada and kaka doesn't know I'm the last boy... I can't manage zamindari"
"Ohh... chote zamindar babu is afraid... he wants to flee away"
"What? No.... I'm a Roy Choudhury... Roy Choudhuries don't flee away"
"Then behave like that"

While returning to his room an idea came to Batuk's mind. Yes he's the chote zamindar... why is he afraid?! Be brave Batuk. You are born to rule. He'll be the boss of the village. He closed his eyes and visualised villager touching his feet. All folding their hands and lowering their head when he walks past. Wah... what a life... why is he afraid.. its his chance.

Next day. Somnath and Sohini arrived at the Chatterjee Mansion in Gourbagan. They were received with Arti. Sohini ran to her mother and hugged her.
"How are you my child? Are you happy?"
"I'm happier than I could have ever imagined"
Her Aunts went jealous of Sohini's happy face.
"She looks so happy" whispered one
"R a at beginning all remain happy... with time things change"

In the Zamindar mansion.
Batuk threw his bag on his bed and lied down. He looked at the ceiling. It's his time to rule.
He got up.
"Nayeb moshai...." he called. Nayeb came running.
"Yes malik..."
"I'll go on a village inspection after getting fresh... make all arrangements"
"Yes malik"

Batuk felt he's flying in the sky. He quickly finished his bath. Upps he needs to apply the scent. Bloody hell he forgot to bring his perfume! Now what impression will he make if smells rotten!?

Batuk got dressed and went to Bondita's room. She and Sampurna were getting the kids fresh up.

"Boudi....." Batuk called with a oiling tone.
"What?"
"Perfume"
"WHAT?"
"I forgot to bring my perfume"
"Goddd... take it... and do give it back"
Batuk took the perfume and checked it.
"Boudi... it's not Dada's one..."
"No it's my one..."
"It's pink"
"Yes"
"Is it Belgium?"
"No it's French.."
Batuk sprayed it on his wrist and checked
"It smells girly"
"So what do you expect? A girl to smell like a man? If you want then take it or else leave it...."
Batuk looked at the pink perfume. He thought it's better to smell rotten than yo smell like a girl... but....
"Will you all go to Sohini boudi's place?"
"Yes..."
"Then I will also go"
"To take perfume from Som dada?"
Batuk looked at her with shock..
"Don't look at me like that... I'm Bartister Bondita Anirudh Roy Choudhury... remember that.."

All arrived at Chatterjee Mansion. Satyapriya Chatterjee and Supriya Chatterjee received them grandly. Bondita Sampurna and kids went to the women's section. Batuk sat with the men.
"So Batuk babu you wil be managing tgis estate"
"Yes" Batuk replied with pride.
Satyapriya babu asked many things to him and he answered as if he's the master of village management.

Sohini was with her mother. Her Aunts received Sampurna and Bondita. They were planning to stir things a bit.
"Come sit sit.." Sohini's Aunts got them sitted in Sohini's room. "This is Sohini's room"
Bondita looked around. She could well understand its decorated and furnished in a haste. She looked back and saw books stacked roughly on a table. She got up and went to see the books.
Sohini entered with her mother. Bondita looked back. One of Sohini's aunts signed her mother to leave.
She was going to leave but suddenly she saw Bondita touching her feet. Sohini's mother was shocked.
"You touched my feet!" She whispered
"Why not? You are like my mother na"
Sohini's mother became emotional. Her eyes became teary.
"Will not you bless me?"
Sohini's mom patted on her head.

Sohini's Aunts became more jealous.

Suddenly Batuk entered the room.
The ladies pulled their veils. Bondita looked hopelessly at Batuk.
"You should knock na Batuk"
Batuk moved two steps back and knocked the door.
Bondita nodded her head.
"Sohini Boudi where is Som Dada's perfume"
"You could have asked that from Som dada only na" commented Bondita
"I've no time... already am late, this problem would not have been there if you would have brought Dada's perfume"
"What will I do with your Dada's perfume? I'm a girl so I'll use girly perfume only na"
Sohini handed over the Perfume to Batuk.
"When you behave like a boy then what problem is to smell like one.." taunted Batuk
"What?!" Bondita got fueled up.
Sampurna hold Bondita's hand and signed her to hault.
"Batuk don't quarrel here... go to your work.."

Batuk left making a sarcastic face at Bondita. Bondita's head went hot.
"I'll not leave this chipkali Sampurna didi" whispered Bondita in Sampurna's ears.

Sohini smiled looking at the matter.

Sohini's aunts and mother were shocked to watch the whole matter. This girl is quarreling with her dewar?! Somnath is younger to her in relation but calling him dada! Sampurna is her mother in law but she's calling her didi?! And why he said Bondita behaves like a boy? Is this a taunt? But how can younger dewar taunt his boudi like this.