Chapter 18: The Mysterious Palace

"Batuk... there's a haunted house here.." Bondita informed while gulping the rosogollas.
"You just now said that story to the kids..." Batuk put his hands into the handi
"But do ghosts really exist?"
"May be may not be.."
"Wanna go on an adventure tonight?" Bondita asked enthusiastically. Batuk chocked
"No wayyy... your patibabu will kill me.."
"But I'm with you"
Batuk got up. "Thanks for the treat but I'm not in this..."

Bondita went to her room. Anirudh was awake. As soon as she got into the room he looked up at her.
"So completed your snack?"
Bondita's face went red
"Actually Patibabu......."
"Grow up Bondita.. come to sleep now"

Bondita and Anirudh went to bed.
"Patibabu?"
"Hmm..."
"Do Ghosts exist?"
"WHAT?"
"There's a haunted house here..."
Anirudh caressed her head and kissed on her forehead.
"Go to sleep dear... it's already late.."

It's 12 O clock. The bell of the grandfather clock rang. Bondita opened her eyes. The room is dark. The hazy moonlight is comming through the window. The shadow of the branches are dancing on the backwall keeping rhythm with the gentle breeze. She looked beside her. Anirudh is fast asleep. She slowly moved his hand and got up. Crossing the dark corridor she went out by the back door. Very strategically she evaded the eyes of the guards and got out. Bondita already had found out the shortcut to reach the forest.

In the moonlit night the whole environment looked enchanted. Though the path is visible much but Bondita lit up the torch. There are so many sounds of different animals comming. Atleast there is no maneater here.. that's Bondita's only relief.

She halted. The house rather the mansion can be seen from a distance. But something made Bondita light off the torch. There is someone. A shadow. Bondita hid behind the tree. That shadow is clearly making sound of some animal. Wait... the window... there is light... another shadow by that window. He signed the shadow outside. What are these GHOSTS  doing?!

Bondita felt someone touching her shoulders. Chills ran down her spine. She looked back......................

*******************
Anirudh arrived at the breakfast table.
"Anirudh didn't Bondita bahu get up?" Asked kaka
"Yes... she got up before me... may be in the kitchen..."
"She's not there..." informed Sampurna.
"Bondita didi is not in the house... we searched fr her everywhere" informed Ela.
Anirudh sqeezed his eyebrows.
"May be she went to Sohini..."

Batuk suddenly sensed something and his expressions changed. Anirudh sensed it.
"Batukk" he enquired in a low deep tone
Batuk looked up "yes Dada...."
"What's the matter?"
"What? No ... nothing matter..."
Kaka looked at Batuk. Batuk gulped.
"You don't know?"
"I know no..."
Anirudh's look started getting intense. Batuk can't handle it.. he lowered his head.
"Tell the truth.."
"She told me to come with her to the haunted house but I refused" Batuk answered in a blow closing his eyes.
"Haunted house?!" Kaka exclaimed.
Anirudh recalled Bondita enquiring about Ghost's existence. He got up quickly.
"Kanai ... take the car out..." he ordered.
Kanai who was yawning in the courtyard quickly went to the garage.

**************
At Chatterjees place.
"Jamaibabu take another luchi"
"No no kakima... my stomach is full.."

Anirudh came into the dinning room with full vigor. Somnath got shocked.
"Supriyo babu..." called Anirudh " do you know where the haunted house is??"
"Haunted house?! The forest one?"
Batuk slowly came and sat on the chair.
"Yess..."
"What will you do there? No one comes back alive from there..."
Batuk quickly took some luchies and a ladful of alur dom
"What do you mean?! No one comes alive means?" Asked Anirudh
"Yeah... many English officers went there for adventure... they were lost for 2 to 3 days... then their body was found outside the haunted house..."
Anirudh started sweating, his mind went dump.
"Batuk come........"
"The food is soo good here...." Batuk started gulping the food.
"Batuk..."
"I'm not comming... the ghosts have got their sister... she'll be happy there I'm not comming"
Anirudh felt like hitting a sixer on his head.