16

He was looking at me with an unreadable expression. I felt my heart drop.

What if he hates me after this?

I couldn't help but let those negative thoughts cloud my mind.

I started talking and told him everything that happened. When I came to the part where he beat me I couldn't hold it in anymore.

"You're okay, now. It's over. You're doing so good, love." He gave me a quick hug.

"He dragged me to a room, and he started yelling at me." I can still hear him. The words he said were playing in my head over and over again.

You think you can do that huh?

You think it's okay to let someone else touch you?

Was he better? Did you like the way he touched you?

I heard the yells, I felt the punch and kicks, I felt all the emotions I felt at that moment in time. Scared mostly.

"He had hit me a few times in the past, but that was nothing like that. Normally he'd break down after the first hit and he'd apologise over and over again afterwards. And I forgave him. He promised me he would change. And I believed him. He had managed to get me to fall on the ground with his first hit and proceeded to kick me while yelling things at me. I was so fucking scared." I was waiting for more tears to come, but they didn't.

"I don't how many times he kicked me, but after some time River came in. He threw Ashton off me and started beating him up. After Ashton had passed out, I had gotten him to stop. I was scared he'd kill him if I didn't. He said he'd take me home, but I made him promise he'd take Ashton to the hospital and that I would go home with Amelia. I regret asking him that so much. He made sure I got out of the room safely and Olivia lead as to the back door. She told me she saw Ashton drag me away. I never really knew how River found me, but it's so obvious now." Niall's eyes became glossy, and I quickly wiped the tear that was already making his way out.

"I'm so sorry. So sorry. You didn't deserve this." He pressed his forehead against mine.

"I never intended for this to happen." I whispered.

"I know, baby, I know." He said and hugged me tightly.

"Anyway, I went home with Amelia, and she told everything to my mum, while I hugged her. A few minutes later she got a call from the hospital that they were in a car accident. A truck had hit the passenger side. Ashton died on spot and River two days later in the hospital. Next week it'll be a year ago. It all seems so surreal." I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, but it was impossible. I let out an ugly sob and Niall was fast to hug me. His eyes were glossy and red signaling to me that he was also crying. He placed my leg over his lap, so I was now straddling him.

"It's all my fault. If I had known it was Lee, if I had listened to River and didn't make him take Ash to the hospital maybe they would still be here." I whispered and put my hands in his neck.

"None of it is your fault, Harper. It's no one's fault. Okay? Please believe me." He said looking in my eyes.

"I know it's hard to believe that right now, but I'll help you. I'm not leaving and I'm not mad at you either." He said and I just hugged him again as a response.

"Thank you." I said after a while.

"Don't thank me, love. I've got your back." He spoke.

"After everything happened, Lee got sent to an institution. He had borderline personality disorder." I murmured.

"Have you visited him?" Niall asked.

"No, and I don't think I'm ready for that either." I admitted.

"Okay." He sighed.