23

Say something

Say something

Say something

"How was school today?" He beat me and broke the uncomfortable silence between us again.

"Fine." I replied shortly, rubbing my hands on my jeans covered thighs in awkwardness.

"Did you have fun?" He tried getting the conversation going.

"During the breaks, yes." I said when he turned into the McDonalds drive through. My mum told me Jack called her yesterday evening to ask what food I liked most so he could arrange something for me.

"Understandable." He chuckled and stopped the car behind the last one in the line.

"What... What did you do today?" I nervously asked.

"I took a day off and went shopping. I have a gift for you actually." He said and glanced at me while slowly following the queue.

"Really? What did you get me?" I asked with raised eyebrows.

"I'll give it to you after dinner." He said and stopped the car next to the microphone. He's asked me my usual order already during the drive here.

"Welcome at McDonalds, how can I help you?" I heard a deep voice say.

"I'd like two large Bic mac menus, with fries, ketchup and Fanta please." He lifted himself from his chair so he could speak directly towards the microphone.

"Will that be all?" The same person said.

"Yes, thank you." Jack said and sat back comfortably in his seat, slowly driving towards the next window. Surprisingly, there was only one car before us anymore.

The last time I came here was when Niall and I had our first date. I smiled at the memory of it.

"What's got you smiling like that?" Jack grinned.

"Nothing, it's just... my boyfriend took me here on our first date." I smiled awkwardly, hoping it didn't make him uncomfortable.

"Ah, Niall, was it?" He asked.

"Yes, that's him." I confirmed.

"He looked like a nice lad." He said and looked forward again, driving towards the next window.

"He is." I agreed and looked to the cashier on my left.

"Two large Bic mac menus with ketchup, fries, and Fanta?" He asked and pressed a button on the computer.

"Yes, that's right." Jack said and took his wallet out of his pocket.

"That'll be 17 pounds." The employee said and Jack handed him a twenty. "You can keep the change."

"Thank you, sir. I hope you enjoy your food." The man said and gave us the bill. I gave him an acknowledging nod while my dad drove us towards the last window. We reached it rather soon and I saw people running around in the kitchen, trying to prepare all the costumer's food as fast as possible.

"There you go." Someone from inside the building said and handed us a big, warm bag through the tiny hole in the glass.

"Will you hold it?" Jack asked and placed the bag on my lap without waiting for my answer.

"Of course." I replied afterwards and put my hands securely on it. The drive towards his house was again spent in an uncomfortable silence. Instead of focusing on that, I let my thoughts drift elsewhere.

"This is it." Jack said and stopped the car in front of a medium sized house. It looked very homey.

"Have you lived here for a long time?" I asked him and got out of the car, struggling a bit because I didn't want to drop our food.