Eighteen

Kamberly 

It was the late hours of the evening when I recieved a message from Alexander, asking if he could meet with me now. 

Of course I accepted, and when he entered, butterflies coated the inside of my stomach. 

I smiled but his gaze was somewhere else. 

Distant. 

"Alexander?" I asked, reaching for his hand and he looked at me. 

Those eyes which sparkled normally, glittered with happiness and coy were now pools of death and sadness. 

"What happened?" I asked, placing a hand to his cheek and he kissed my palm. 

Then I looked at what he was wearing. 

A dark red uniform with silver buttons, a black belt, metals, black pants, and high leather boots. 

I gasped, stepping away from him. 

"What... Why are you dressed like a soldier?" I whispered and he closed his eyes. 

"My father... just died. I need to go home and honor him as a past general... and take my place as the lord of House Rhambos." 

I took his hands. "How did he..." 

He sighed. "Cancer. He was going to tell us but then it ruptured. He died." 

I look away. "I'm so sorry about that, Alexander." 

He looks at me and tears sparkle in his eyes. "I know that if the Kingsgame selected leaves the ground without your permission, they're immediately disqualified... So I want to ask your permission to return home." 

I started trembling. 

"How long will you be gone?" I whispered and he looked down. 

"I don't have the answer to that yet." 

I choked on air and nodded through the pain of losing him. 

I'd lost so many people already. 

I couldn't lose him too. 

"Kamberly." He said, and I looked at him. 

He smiled sadly. "I want you to know that if you choose someone else in the time I am gone.. be happy. Don't reserve your heart only for me, because that is not the point of Kingsgame." 

I clasp his face in my hands. "Alexander, that's the problem, because I'm already in love with you!" 

His forehead touches mine and tears leak out of my eyes. "Please." I whisper and he sighs. 

"I don't want to do this, Kam. I don't want to leave you. It's not what I would've wanted but my family and the company needs me right now, and if I don't my family could suffer." 

I nodded through my tears, as his forehead stayed against mine and that's when I whispered. 

"I give you my permission." 

I pulled back and smiled sadly, nodding. "Go Alexander. Go to your family." 

He pulled me in and as he kissed me goodbye, my heart broke, and yet mended. 

A knock at the door sounded thirty minutes after he left and I didn't even look up as Caleb entered. 

"Surprise!" Eadlyn and Caleb yelled but they stopped dead in their tracks when they saw my tear-stained face as I sat on the bench. 

"He's gone." I cried and Eadlyn covered me in a hug. 

"Who?" Caleb said, his face paling. 

"Alexander." I said, and the tears hit me. 

"Wait, he left without your permission?" Eadlyn asked as she pulled back and placed a comforting hand on my shoulder. 

I shook my head. 

"No. I gave him permission. His father just died and now he's the Lord of Rhambos. He doesn't know when he'll return." 

Eadlyn hugged me and I mouthed 'thank you' to Caleb. 

I understood that he had gotten her here for me. 

For Christmas. 

My heart felt like it would never heal again, and Eadlyn held me for a long time, before I finally felt like if she pulled away, I would shatter. 

A/N: Sorry it's so short, I've been away for a while and lost the enthusiasm to write this chapter. Another chapter will be out before midnight tonight (New York time). Happy New Years! Welcome 2022, Au revoir 2021.