Twenty-Seven- Act II

2 weeks later... 

Kamberly 

When I woke up, I learned of an attack on the palace. 

And many were dead.  

Eadlyn, Circlette, Dorian, my family, and the Kingsgame men all survived Skaran's final attack. 

Unfortunately, we are not without our injuries. 

Ben's leg is healing from 3 bones in his legs splitting different ways, from Skaran's fight with Ben and then the explosion, Dad's face carries a scar from Skaran and Mom's arm is in a sling from the explosion.

I was lucky to be spared. 

I was given medicine for the shock but I am fine. 

If Mom and Dad had died... I would have become Queen. 

And it would've been heartbreaking. 

I'm helping Ben right now, who has just stood up from his wheelchair in the hallway outside of his bedroom.

He's trembling, and he's leaning on me for support as well as his cane when he trembles and takes his first steps in 2 weeks of bedrest. 

I gasp and he grins at me. "Seriously, you are so strong, Ben. If I had broken my leg in three different ways, I'd be sitting on my ass in bed binge-eating." 

Ben grins widely as a familiar voice calls from behind us, "I very much doubt that, Your Highness." 

I turn and gasp at the person who's standing at the end of the hall. 

He's grinning wildly, and he wears a dark red uniform, his hair disheveled and he looks exhausted, but he looks the same, just like the last time I saw him.

 "Alexander," I breathe and Ben rolls his eyes at me. 

"For the love of the gods, are you going to go greet him?" He says, and as he returns to his chair, he rolls down the hallway, now empty. 

I'm trembling as I look at Alexander and he sighs. 

"Kamberly, I'm so sorry about what happened. I should have been here sooner-" He calls. 

I let out a breathless laugh and run towards him as he walks quickly and then runs towards me and as my lips meet his in a familiar dance, I pull his body closer to mine. 

Tears fall down my face and as I pull away, he brushes them away. 

"Kamberly, I should have been here with you. I'm so so sorry." 

I place my finger on his lips and shake my head, smiling through tears. "No. You shouldn't have been here. If you had been harmed I never would've forgiven myself. It was better that you were safe instead." 

He kisses me again, and tears of relief spill out of my eyes as I lean my forehead against his. 

He's here. 

He's here

As I sit down with him, he tells me what happened. 

"When your letter arrived, I was terrified. If Skaran had hurt you, or your family, I never would've lived with the guilt. When I left the manor, I promised myself I would get to you, whatever it took. And I tried to. But once I got to Archeon, there was that explosion. I tried to get in, but no one was allowed to leave or go in. I rode to our city mansion and decided when both you and your family were strong enough for me to see you, to make sure you were alright." 

I nod and place my forehead against his. "You're back." 

"I'm not leaving again, Kamberly. I'm not leaving until you tell me to or I've been cut from Kingsgame."