Twenty-one

A/n: Just a reminder that midyears start in less than 24 hours for me at my high school so this chapter might be a little late. Started writing on January 19

Alexander

The trip to the manor has never seemed longer, and with each bump in the road that makes the car trip up a little, it matches the breaking in my heart.

 Kamberly.

 I hope that she is okay, and that I will be able to return to her before she chooses a husband. 

"My lord, we're pulling up to the manor now." The chauffeur says, and I look up from my hands.

 It's so strange being addressed as 'my lord'. The title was for my father. 

I look out the window as the beautiful house pulls into view.

Normally I beam and smile at being home, but I am only home because my father is dead, my family needs the house lord, and I am away from Kamberly. 

The door is opened and I step out. 

My mom is there, my sisters are there, my younger brother, and my uncle and aunt. 

Mom's eyes are red, and tired, grieving.

 "Mom." I say, and I hug her. 

Her body is frail, she's shaking like a leaf, and I feel like I am the only thing holding her together. 

I bend down and look at my sisters, Isobel and Maralynn. 

Their faces are scrunched up with tears, and they run into my arms as I hold them tightly. 

My brother only looks down at his feet, and I place a kiss to the top of his head as I wrap an arm around him and we enter the house. 

I sit down with Uncle Nico and Aunt Sarah, sitting next to my mother. 

"Thank you for coming so quickly, Alexander." Mom says, and I kiss her forehead. 

"Of course. He was my father too. I would've come anyways." 

Aunt Sarah nods, and shakes her head. "Rorann always seemed like the strongest person. How did the cancer eat him so quickly?" 

Mom shakes her head. "Because he had it for months, but then you were selected for Kingstrial and the family was so excited... he didn't want to worry you, Isobel, Maralynn, or Martin." 

I look away. "He should've told me. I would've withdraw in a heartbeat-" 

"Alexander, that was what he didn't want you to do. He knows that you and Princess Kamberly have been friends for years, and didn't want to hold you back. Now, how is Her Highness?" 

I nod and a small smile breaks apart my frowning. "I'm in love with her." 

Mom smiles sadly, but I can see the joy in her eyes. "And does she love you back?" 

I hesitate a second before I nod. "I believe so." 

Mom stands and places a hand on the bookcase. "You need to go back then. If she's in love with you, and you're in love with her... Alexander, you need to return to her." 

I stand and hug my mother. "No. I'm here for you now. Kamberly understands that I need to be here and she knows that I need to be here." 

She sighs, looking out the windows. "Alexander, I don't want you to ruin your chance with her because you're here for us." 

I shake my head. "I'm here to mourn my father and to become the lord he would be proud of. That is why I am here." 

And as I situate in my room later, I know I have to do this for him and my family.