Twenty-four

Alexander 

 'Alexander-

We haven't found anything on Skaran Laris, but I'm working on it. Unfortunately I fell ill not too long ago, and I'm sorry I haven't written to you. Everyone is sending apologies for your father's death and I am as well. I hope you and your family are well enough as you possibly can in this grieving time. I wish I could see you and try to comfort you and help with your own grief as you try to help your family. You need to understand that if you did come here to try and help with Skaran, you might ruin my plan to unmask him and send him away. Do not interfere please. I need to do this on my own.
All my love,
Kamberly'

I sigh as I place the envelope in my suit pocket and look at the door as a knock sounds. 

"Come in!" I call and Mother enters, hands clasped. 

"Ah.. I hope I didn't interrupt you," she says softly, eyes downcast and I shake my head as I approach him. 

"Not at all." I murmur as I hug her.

 She's shaking still with grief, and she's so fragile it scares me. 

"Mother.. are you sure you can't even take a nap? I can have a servant come up and give you something to help you rest" I ask as I pull away.

She shakes her head. "Your sisters and brother tried already." 

I smile. "Isobel and Maralynn are very protective." 

She nods. "Martin too. He's worried about you, Alexander." 

I scrunch my eyebrows together. "Why's that?" 

"We haven't really seen you since the funeral, you've been cooped up in here for a while with work and finances. You can rely on me, you know? While your father was still here, he sometimes confided in me with financial debts." 

I place a kiss to her forehead. "I'm fine, Mother. Here, tell Martin that I'll go shooting with him later." 

She gives me a stern look. "You should tell him yourself. It would do you some good to get out of this room. The maids have told me that at any chance for them to clean, you shoo them away. The odor in here is incredible, so while you're out shooting I'll get them to freshen up the house, shall I?" 

I laugh. "Of course."

I leave the study and look as a servant comes my way with a tray of tea. 

"My lord," she curtsies and I bow my head. 

"Tea.. for Miss Isobel. She complained of a headache so I am bringing her some herbal tea. Is there anything I can do for you, my lord?" 

I nod. "Yes. I was wondering if you would tell me where my brother is." 

She looks down the hallway. "I believe he's in the sitting room with your uncle's son, my lord." 

"Thank you." I say as I walk down the hallway and I rap on the door as I enter. 

Martin is playing with toy soldiers on the ground and I smile at Heron, Uncle Nico's son who is Martin's age, crouched next to Martin. 

Martin raises his head as I enter and I smile. 

"Hello Cousin Heron," I greet and he raises an eyebrow. 

"Do you need me to leave the room to talk with your brother?" He asks kindly and I shake my head. 

"Of course not. Martin, I was wondering if you'd like to come shooting with me in an hour." I ask and he grins. 

"Arrows?"