24.

Jeonyeog POV

I was so tired! Last night I went to bed about 2 AM because my work took longer than expected and I had to wake up at 5 this morning as usual.

Despite my drowsiness, I got organised and headed towards the kitchen to make tea, since that was my first task.

After a few minutes it was done and I was walking towards Ma Ri to serve it when I tripped, causing the steaming hot tea to spill onto Ma Ri's lap. A shrill scream was heard and tons of maids came rushing towards Ma Ri with different items to attempt to soothe the burn while I was still on the ground, trying to process what just happened.

"You clumsy, careless bitch!! How dare you do this to me?! Do you know how much this skirt costed?? Now it's all ruined thanks to you!!" She started yelling at me while the other maids took care of her burn. Then, she called on one of the butlers, a very strict one who everyone was afraid of, and said "Take her to the basement and teach her a lesson! Do whatever you want, I don't care. Just get her out of my sight...but don't kill her!!"

I felt my heart start beating faster and I felt my breathing get unsteady because all the other maids talked about 'the basement' like it was hell itself. I wasn't even here for a week for crying out loud and I was already being punished for something so stupid! The butler roughly dragged by my arm, into the basement and down the stairs. He threw me on the ground and turned on a light switch.

One little light came on but it was bright enough for me to see the various items hung on the wall: An assortment of different types of knives, rope, belts, handcuffs and so on. Tears welled in my eyes when the butler picked a thick, black leather belt and walked towards me extremely slowly. "You need to learn your lesson..no one disrespects our master and gets away with it" he spoke in a low tone of voice.

The next five minutes were filled with me getting beaten by the leather belt. I begged for him to stop, cried and screamed in agony as the belt danced all over my tiny body. By the time he was finished, my body was littered with bluish-purple, even red bruises. I thought he was finished but he wasn't! He put the belt back and came back holding a pocket knife. "She said for him not to kill me! Why is he holding a knife then?!" I thought to myself as I looked up at him with wide, glassy eyes. "Maybe you disrespected master because you think you're too pretty to be a maid and you dislike master's decision to have you work as a maid, hm? If that's the case.." he creepily smiled as he walked closer with the knife. He made me look straight at him by placing his finger under my chin and raising it. "..I'll just have to show you how ugly you are, that you're the ugliest creature on this planet!" he continued his earlier sentence. He brought the knife close to my face and cut my left cheek. I let out a pained cry as I felt the cut begin to burn and the warm liquid drip down my face. "That should do it. Now stay here until I come and give you permission to get out!" He said sternly as he ascended the wooden staircase, slammed the door and locked it, leaving me all alone on the floor of the cold, dark basement, curled up in a small ball of whimpers, blood, tears and bruises.