Chapter 5

That weekend the team didn't have matches or practice, so Atsumu planned to just stay at home and hang out with his brother, if he wasn't too busy.

Osamu was beginning to see good results on his onigiri restaurant, and was planning to expand at some point in the future.

But he was really perfectionist, and was always working on new flavors and ways to innovate.

He often asked Atsumu to taste his creations (just because no one else was around, since Osamu didn't trust his twin's palate much), and that Saturday morning wasn't the exception.

But Atsumu wasn't really paying attention.

He was distracted, often finding himself thinking about Kiyoomi's reaction the other day. He didn't know he could be such a competitive person, but he was gladly surprised.

He was also curious. Kiyoomi seemed so distant and mysterious all the time, that he couldn't help but wonder how his real personality would be when his guard was down, when he gained confidence with someone.

Osamu catched him smiling distractedly, moving around the onigiri's ingredients that he'd been offered.

"How's the team going? Everythin' alright?", Osamu asked, tentatively.

"Yeah, everything's just fine. They're all super talented. You'd be amazed by how much they've improved in just this couple of months…".

His mind drifted off to those powerful serves from the former aces in high school, and then to a particular ex ace and his spikes. And then his annoyed face, his curls, his forehead's moles, and how much he wanted to see him out of that shell he always seemed to put himself into.

"Ya like it?".

Atsumu's heart did a flip flop. He quickly looked up, feeling he'd been dropped from the mental high we'd been.

He was so distracted that he could've sworn he heard Osamu asking "like him". 

And the only "him" he could think of was Kiyoomi.

Was he just daydreaming about him?

He raised an eyebrow, hoping to hear the question again.

"... The team? Ya like it?".

"Oh- Yeah! I think we have pretty good chances of winning' the championship!".

Osamu nodded, noticing that his brother was up to something. He gave him a suspicious look, and Atsumu felt as if he'd been caught, as if somehow he'd catched him thinking about his teammate way more than what was normal.

"Damn this weird twin telepathy thing", he thought.

Atsumu was about to confront him about that weird look, but Osamu quickly got up and began cooking some more new things.

And that was just perfect, since Atsumu began to have a mental breakdown.

"What the hell? Why did I get so nervous? Like… My heart racing? The fuck?".

And those thoughts didn't leave his mind all weekend. Because, sure, he'd pretty much always thought of Omi-kun since he knew the team's lineup, and sure, he thought he was pretty handsome and talented and different from everyone he knew.

But that was admiration… Right? He thought he was just a really cool player… Right?

"Ya like him?", was a question that resonated inside his mind. He wasn't even asked that, but he thought he did…

What if this wasn't just admiration?

Nah, couldn't be. And even if it was something else, that would be simply ridiculous. Kiyoomi was just someone way out of reach in that matter.

It was just admiration, yeah, a kind of platonic one.

Surely, it was.

--- To be continued.