⇛ 𝐂𝐇. 𝟏𝟒

jihyun weakly pushed copper's dead body off her. someone had thrown a spear through her head, killing her immediately. the other tributes had loosened their grips, frantically looking around for the person and then when another spear landed near them, they scrambled, leaving jihyun on the floor, bleeding out.

she didn't bother moving because she knew she wouldn't make it far and the person would most likely finish what the others had started and kill her. she laid still with tears rolling down her muddy cheeks until she heard the sound of feet running towards her. wild and panic-stricken foot steps...

"jihyun!"

i recognise that voice.

jaemin's face appeared in her view as he kneeled beside her, a horrified look on his face as he took in everything copper and wren had done to her.

"jihyun, you're going to be okay now." he said.

"you're not calling me foxy..." she whispered, feeling herself slipping in and out of consciousness.

"foxy, you're okay now— holy shit! your leg! this is not okay." he said. 

"i'm going to die. you should just go back to jisung and jeno..." she muttered as he picked up the bag she had dropped while fighting copper.

"you're not going to die. they're nearby. i'll take you to them and we'll treat your wounds and you'll be fine." he said almost like he was trying to convince himself. he wrapped his hand around her waist, careful not to touch the slashes, and helped her onto her feet. "just stay awake, alright?"

they started walking forwards but with each step they took, a shock of pain ran through jihyun's leg. she tried to hold back her cries of pain but eventually, she couldn't take it anymore.

"i can't walk. i can't. it hurts too much." she said. "just leave me."

he stared at her, alarmed. he never would have expected her to let herself die. he thought she'd be desperate to survive and he was right to assume so maybe twenty minutes ago when she wasn't attacked. but now she felt vulnerable and fatigued. she just wanted to sleep.

"no, i'm not going to. i won't let you die like this."

"you want to though. it'll get you one step closer to winning and getting out of here."

"obviously i don't want to kill you!" he exclaimed.

"you literally volunteered for this!"

"that was jisung! not me!"

"oh. same difference." she muttered, looking down at her thigh that had blood pooling out of it. "i think i'm losing too much blood. i feel dizzy."

"i know. that's why we have to move, foxy. those other tributes might come back and i don't think i can fight them while holding you." jaemin said and she nodded, placing her arm around his shoulders.

slowly, they proceeded walking. jihyun could still feel the immense pain but she planned to bear with it and then collapse when they finally reach their destination.

"distract me by talking please." she said, disliking the awkward silence. "where have you been hiding out?"

"we found a cave a couple of days ago. we didn't move around much because we wanted to find chenle."

"oh, chenle. he's with me — was with me — and a few others. he's safe." she told him, pausing for a moment to rest her thigh.