𝐓𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER THIRTY-SEVEN:A NOGITSUNE

A NOGITSUNE

     "HIS EYES WERE GLOWING," SCOTT commented, looking at Argent who had been telling his story of where he'd these creatures before.

     "There was something almost ritualistic about it." Argent told them, wincing slightly as Allison cleaned his cut. "Like it was looking right into his soul."

     "That's the same thing it did to me and Gwen." Isaac muttered, squeezing Gwen's shoulder as she closed her eyes at the memory.

     "That's what it did to everyone," Allison breathed.

     "Not everyone." Scott denied, causing them to look at him. "They only came after the werewolves."

     "And Lydia." Gwen pointed.

     "Anyone with a connection to the supernatural."  Argent connected.

     "Then who was the guy they went after in Japan?" Isaac frowned.

     "A kumicho. A yakuza boss. It was my first gun deal. I was only eighteen and it was supposed to be a simple exchange. Except Gerard left out the minor detail of the buyers being yakuza. He wanted to see if I could adapt in the moment. Testing my ability to improvise."

     "Or your ability to survive." Allison suggested.

     Argent shook his head. "The moment the sun went down it was like they just materialized out of the shadows. They had swords, not curved like katanas but straight, black steel. Like ninjatos."

     Scott furrowed his eyebrows. "What did they want?"

     "To get to the kumicho." Argent answered. "They cut down every living thing in their way."

     Isaac placed a hand behind his ear, feeling the faint scar of the five beneath his fingertips. "Did they mark him like they did us?"

     "Not exactly."

     "What was he?" Scott asked after Argent explained the man's eyes turning white at the shadow people stabbing him, his teeth silver.

     "I don't know." Argent answered truthfully. "But there might be someone who does. There were a few others who survived that night. One of them was a man named Katashi. They called him Silverfinger because of his unusual prosthetic. And it looked like he was getting ready to take them all on himself. I've known for a while that Katashi was in the country. I spent yesterday tracking him down."

     Isaac pointed towards the cut on Argents head. "Didn't look like he wanted to be found."

     "Not particularly, no."

     Scott sat up a little straighter. "You think he knows what they are? Or what they want?"

     "Maybe."