The Projectionist's Trials

Norman wasn't expecting to find himself in his projection booth. At least, that's what it looked like. The shape of the room was right and the railing was in the right place, but the rail was broken and a perfectly black void was all that was beyond it. The room itself was bigger and utterly bare.

What Norman focused on, however, was the familiar person standing before the broken part of the railing. "Buddy!" he called, rushing forward but then halting himself when the boy spoke.

"I am not Buddy."

Norman inspected the person before him.

It certainly looked like Buddy, human and all! But the sepia skin and blank, lifeless stare definitely weren't human. The boy's presence was chilling. Norman took a step back, now on edge, "If... if you're not Buddy, then who are you?"

The mystery Buddy stared through a board in the wall before responding, "I do not know. Either that, or I am not to say."

Norman nodded slowly, "Right. Can I still call you Buddy?"

"I suppose."

"Okay then... 'Buddy,' what is this place?"

"It is where the Demon King intends to break you."

Norman checked to make sure the door was still there. "Come again?"

"It has identified your fears and intends to use them to break your will and make you its slave."

"Does it now?" Norman backed up to within arm's reach of the door.

"It does." 'Buddy' hadn't moved from where he stood, nor had his voice changed intonation. Every word was delivered flatter than paper, devoid of emotion. "That door will not open."

The doorknob melting under Norman's hand confirmed as such. "That's a bit more than just locked..." Norman glanced back at 'Buddy', "What if I break it down?"

"Then you will find yourself right back in here. The Demon King has you in its web and will not let you go."

"Not until I find a way to break out, right?"

"It will do what it can to ensure that does not happen, but if you play its game and win, then perhaps it will let you go."

"So it's a game then?"

'Buddy' looked to the void as four doors appeared a short span away and four wooden paths assembled themselves to each. "Of a sort, yes. Behind each door is someone the Demon King intends to use to break you. If you survive and gain a piece of the Husk, then the pieces will open the door and let you out."

Norman held his hands up, "Wait, wait, wait, 'survive'? You didn't say nothin' about this being a game of survival."

'Buddy's' cold, dead eyes fixed on Norman's lens, "Did I not?"

Unnerved by the stare, Norman looked away and focused on the doors. "Survive the Husk and get a piece of them, huh?" he approached the first walkway, the door of which had a crude image of a screw inked on it, "What's the worst that could happen?"

"The Demon King could ensnare you and use you as a device to kill your friends and ensure you never regain your humanity again."

Norman stared at 'Buddy', who only stared back. Grumbling, Norman strode to the first door and stepped through.