nine

audrey newman

everybody had walked in, darry of course came in with a freshly made chocolate cake with no finger dips from steve or two-bit left behind. mom took the cake from him and set it by the counter, slapping two-bit's finger from it.

they all sat down on the table as in the adults, minus two-bit who was downing on that beer he found in my fridge. mom scraped me a plate and i headed outside on my own, i'm like silent as a bird now since nobody ever started caring about what i do now.

the backyard door quietly opened, i thought it was soda but no, it was dally who didn't seem so tough when looking at me. i placed the plate down while waiting for that neighborhood cat to come and eat it, then bring it back to mr. falter who never remembers anything, easy way to get paid.

"ya not gonna have a bite?" dally asked, sitting down next to me.

"stuffed from lunch." i lied.

"wrong, you were sitting in your room all afternoon reading a magazine." dally corrected me.

"what do you do? peak through my window?" i laughed.

"yes idiot, not my fault you're rolling around on your bed all the time." dally pushed me, "not that i was apart of it but guys were looking at you changing once."

"what?!" i stood up.

"your window is pointed directly at their living room window, they can see what goes on." dally smirked, i slapped him. "that's not what i was actually wanting to talk to you about, so sit down."

i did what was commanded and just sat on the old spot, "what did you want to talk about?"

"so you and soda went all the way last night, huh?" dally smirked, i looked at him in shock. "what? is there something on my face?"

"who told you that?" i knew it was soda who let that untrue story out.

"soda, who else?" he scoffed, "laughed over his hangover saying that you were a rebound now."

i didn't know how to really react besides just storm back into the house, everybody never flashed a smile or grin at me. i ran upstairs as soon as i could in tears, sliding down my door trying to hide my teary eyes in my hands.

all i thought of soda was the man of my dreams, he was so nice to me like a charming prince from a disney princess movie. i didn't know how true love felt and i'm sure as hell this wasn't an example of it, it was most definite that soda and i weren't meant to be.

there were small taps at my door which belonged to my mom, she loves being gentle now and antagonizes rough stuff. "audrey, everything alright? can i come in?"

"go away, mom!" i choked on my sobs.

"sorry boys, looks like she's busy." she lied for me.

i curled up against my door as i hid my tears into my knees, i looked up; trying to keep in the tears. to think that i can move into tulsa without any sorts of problems and have friends that i can trust, none of those were ever close to happening.

it hurts a lot when you trust someone so much that you think you're falling in love with them only turns into a dream, nothing will ever happen to you because you're everyone's last minute. as in, if you were to ever be in love with someone, you'd just be their second choice.

i just wished that someone finally recognizes me for who i am and not just some broad to pick up off the street.