twelve

sodapop curtis

i watched audrey as she held the ice pack against her nose, the man sitting next to her with his hand wrapped around hers. dally smushed the cigarette on the ground and gave the guy one more stare, he smirked at me.

"isn't he a little too old for her?" dally snickered.

"probably her dad, brooke was screaming her head off in that house." i quickly assumed, she's always been mentioning about someone being out of the picture when it comes to her family tree.

"jealous that audrey maybe into older guys?" dally nudged me.

"just shut up, i don't like her anymore!" i yelled loudly, even audrey caught a glimpse.

i watched her pat the man on the back with a little hug, she gave me a death stare before walking back inside. dally bursted into laughter when he came back inside my house, laughed so hard that he even fell to the ground rolling.

they all looked at him like he was crazy then at me, like i had caused all of this which i did but the stares made me feel uncomfortable. i didn't want to explain why he was laughing so i bolted out the door and towards the lot.

it was quiet and empty like always when it's a tuesday afternoon, i sat down on the red car seats while running my hands through my hair, of course i never meant anything i said before, especially when i said i didn't like audrey anymore.

it was just a straight up lie just to shoo dally away from my business, audrey's too smart to know that i said all those things about her. ever since sandy, i just never really knew what i wanted besides a girl who i knew i could trust, most specifically audrey who had been nothing but kind to me.

"soda, it's kind of not safe to be out here alone." ponyboy warned me.

"do i look like a teenage girl to you?!" i snapped at him, "i can fight for myself."

"audrey, isn't it?" pony knew what's up.

"and what if it is, can't you just mind your own business?" i sneered.

"i'll go if that's what you want." ponyboy backed up, i said nothing.

i heard the grass lowering its height as ponyboy walked over it, i pressed my palm against my forehead. it never occurred to me how much of a fuck up and mess i was since sandy left, audrey was right about her, she was just a manipulative girl.

audrey newman had to be the one for me, i just never knew it. that girl was basically a dream i once had, nothing related to sandy. i don't know how stupid i could be but of course i'm stupid enough to let myself dropout of school.

nothing just ever seemed right anymore.