fourteen

audrey newman

i wanted to take a walk to get my mind off of yesterday, truly one of my worse nights ever. it was only the moms walking their children in strollers or people with their dogs that were around.

dally jogged up to me with his arm around my shoulder. i crossed my arms when he pulled me in for a rue day hug, the smell of cheap cologne and hair grease traveled up my nose. he stuffed his pack of cigarettes into the front pocket of his leather jacket.

"party at buck's tonight, you in?" he made a verbal invite.

"soda's going, isn't he?" i said his name in disgust.

"if he wants, i ain't gon' tell him that you're going." dally promised.

"can't tell if you're lying." it was true, dally was always on his humorous side.

"i'm not! just come and it'll be a great time, drinks on the house." dally implied, i agave him a grin that told him i was going.

dally let go of me but still continued to walk down the path with me, we only talked about the gang or how jail was his bitch every time he made a long visit. it was all jokes really, dally had a real sense of humor behind his outer ego he shows to the real world.

we were walking past the train tracks when a group of socs were following us, the same guys from last night. i tried to get dally to walk faster with me but he began teasing the socs with the trash he had just thrown at them.

"look, it's the girl from last night." a male snickered, dally stopped.

"if you're talking about," he pointed at me, "then you must got the wrong girl. and trust me man, i ain't no female from last night if that's what you're intending."

"her ass looks a bit different from last night." another laughed.

dally then made his points connect into realization, i looked at him for one second before walking away into speed. he left the so sad followed me, i wrapped myself in the loose ends of my sweater in shame.

"why did you not say anything?!"dally turned me around.

"why should i? everybody including soda will make a big deal out of it, and you know how much i don't want him involved."

"audrey, if they hurt you or did you know what with you then that's gonna end up being the town's problem if the story unfolds." dally says, "did they or did they not hurt you?"

"one of them only slapped me but that was it, i ran away from them as soon as it happened." it was the truth.

"running away ain't gonna finish the day, and don't you say it works for me while running from the cops because that's completely different." dally scolded me, "did they slap my ass? no, they cuffed me until i was behind metal fucking bars."

"whatever, same thing as running from your problems. see you at the stupid party." i took off as he stood there.