sixteen

sodapop curtis

another day of the dx with a small pounding headache, much better than the first one which i felt like dying by the toilet bowl. steve bought us some coffee by the local shop just 5 minutes away if you walk..

i still recalled those exact words audrey heard right in front of me, she walked away from my arms in tears as if i remade that one mistake from before. the more the thought took over me, i burned the tip of my tongue with the rising temperature the coffee held.

"you and audrey haven't talked in so long, saw you both walking home, you went for round two or what?" steve nudged me in the shoulder.

"no steve, instead i told her i loved her but she just walked away." i sighed, finishing the last of the hot drink.

"why would she walk away? any girl you confess your love to her will definitely let you between their legs in a minute." he joked.

"god damn it, steve! the fight of silence happened because of you, getting the idea of her being a rebound started from you!" i pushed him, "i can't even forgive myself for letting all this dumb shit get into my head."

"you practically hypnotized me to think of all these things of audrey, she's a sweet girl and i missed my chance because of you."

"soda, you gotta go chase her before it's too late." it was the only few words he could let out.

after that rant, i ran straight out of the dx to the nearest phone booth. i tried to remember her phone number before dialing, a long wait until her some small breaths from her.

"audrey newman speaking." she said.

"aud, it's soda." i said in a few pants, "don't hang up on me yet."

"i ain't ready to talk yet, soda." she whispered, i suppose her mom was around.

"just wait, meet me by the field in ten minutes, please?" i begged.

"fine but this better be good." she says before ending the call.

i put the phone back and i bump into the nice elderly woman waiting to use the phone, dropped the grocery bags she held. i helped picked them up but she was already using the phone before i could hand them over.

she turns around with a bright grin, "thank you, you sweet boy."

"no problem, ma'am." i smiled at her while handing her the groceries.

"young love, go get that girl before it's too late." the woman patted my cheek before walking away.

one nod was all it took and it sent me sprinting down the street towards the field, wheats and sunflowers was where i found home. it was a memorable time and place my parents once met at, they always brought my brothers and i up there to watch the sunset or talk about life in general.

everything went downhill when mom and dad left for their 25th anniversary, darry got a knock at the door telling him they had been in some car wreck by the tracks, poor pony who was tuning into ricky nelson while doing homework in his room.

all i remembered was him closing the door while bursting into tears, he threw his balled up senior essay across the room as he hid his mouth behind his hand. pony walked out of his room all confused as to what happened.

it was really a blur trying to remember that but my thoughts ended when from behind stopped, turning around to see audrey wearing a floral button down tucked into her jeans, she must've gotten home from her dad's motel.