thirteen

audrey newman

johnathan found a motel by the outskirts of town, he was only sticking around for two days before he drives back to arizona. i really wish he'd take me with him but no one will be here to take care of mom, she'll go insane to know that i was in a different state from her.

if it weren't for the gang minus soda, then i'd consider leaving by now. i thought i'd never say this but i'm now over soda, because of him i now have a summer job by the drive in, as in giving out popcorn to those who share or go separate.

i was told that we'd be having a full house tonight as the sound of music was playing tonight, it's mostly the middle school kids who show up just to leave a mess. i hate the sixth graders because all they do is throw popcorn at you and leave you to clean up the mess.

"newman, you're closing the place up!" my boss told me.

"i can't, ben, i gotta bring food home for my mom." i was talking about the leftovers pizza slices or hot dogs nobody buys

"either that or you come pick up your last paycheck tomorrow." he threatened.

"fine." i huffed before attending the popcorn machine.

people were already coming in, mostly the kids who play on the field all day then go home at 8 o'clock to their mommies and daddies who make dinner for them before their nightly milk.

they all start pushing each other around when walking towards the concession stand, i rolled my eyes and attended the counter for the little jerks. they were all tween boys looking up at me, jaw drops like i had a zit, did i?

"what do you dweebs want?" i looked at the group.

"4 popcorns, 3 sodas, and if you could, some cigarettes." a gap tooth boy requests.

"4 popcorns, 3 sodas, and a no for cigarettes coming right up." i gave the kid a sarcastic grin.

they all groan when they heard the devastating news about having no cigarettes, one of which even smacked the kid upside the head for not getting what they wanted. for sure they were greasers, no soc middle school student would even want their perfect little noses by a cigarette.

i bring out their items as more people kept coming in, this was gonna be a long day with me getting knocked out by exhaustion at the end of the day. it caught my eye when soda walked into the drive-in with a blonde girl, steve with his evie, the rest were going together.

darry threw out two-bit's beer bottle, i laughed a little while helping an elderly couple choose out their snacks and drinks, they were nothing but nice to me. see, i love the elders the most because they're just so kind and cute when it comes to conversation or anything really.

my mind was all caught up when i realized the girl soda was with wasn't sandy, in fact they were different in features besides the blonde har but this one had straight hair and not the curls.

i knew by the end of this movie, i'd be a distracted cub. the line just grew longer and longer with soda at the end, his arm attached to the broad next to him who kept tugging on him like she wanted a kiss.

more bullshit.

time skips

i wrapped up on cleaning, smuggling the dinner i promised my mom this morning before she left for work. the entire place was deserted with no light left in the area, crickets became the sound of music to my ears.

time was 1 in the morning, hands rubbed my eyes to stay awake while exiting the place. roads were wet and the mist smeared the air. i only saw the street lamps reflecting the ground and the houses with no lights on.

the sounds of a car engine roaring from behind made me turn my head, it was a blue mustang with a handful of guys inside. i walked off like they were not just following me but it made them catch up even.

i didn't know how close i was to the car but i felt a hand slap my ass, i flinched as the car sped up. to be honest, something else could've went so wrong but at least it was no invite for a fun time in the backseat.

i was close to making it to my block when the same mustang remained on my right, i took a big deep breath before stopping at my tracks. my arms were crossed with an intimidating face, or so i thought but no one else was around to judge.

"girls dressed like that ask for it, so why not come in here for some fresh heat." the boy slurred, drunk off of daddy's liquor.

"no moron, it's not asking for it." i rolled my eyes, "drunk boys are the ones who are the freaks."

"gee baby, why gotta be so feisty on us?" the one in the passenger seat snickered.

the more it kept up i wanted to ignore them, so i just began running down the street as they were full on chasing me. my house was just there and those guys sped off into the distance, i saw soda on his porch all saddened.

we exchanged looks, i gave him a small smile before walking inside my house. mom must've went to bed, placed her dinner or breakfast on the counter for her to eat so she wouldn't have to run down to the tulsa mall for a bagel.

i closed my door shut with a single teardrop running down my face, i took off my skirt to see a red mark on the right of my cheek. they hit me that hard that i couldn't even feel the pain, almost like i was numb now.

i turn off my lamp and got in bed, curling up into a ball with my sheets covering my body. whatever could've happened in that car never happened, i thought to myself with big girl tears.