1

-Are you ready?

Sarah was waiting for me, leaning against the doorframe of my room while I put my Naked Wolfe boots on. It was the first time I was putting them on since I got them as a Christmas present from her mom months ago.

Normally, she would have left already. I usually took a long time getting ready and she just didn't have the patience. But today was different: it was the first time I was going out in almost a year. That was the time that had passed since my mom had passed away.

I used to be the life of the party, but I stopped going out ever since. We were really close, and her death devastated me. She had been laying in a hospital bed for a year before it happened, and it made me think I would be ready for when the time came. Stupid of me. Seeing her like that made me so sad that I didn't notice I still had some kind of hope left in me, which completely shattered me once I lost her. I had been recovering ever since, trying to keep up with my classes from home for some months because I didn't feel ready to face any of my college friends. Not that I had many.

I felt better now, and I was gradually getting my old life back, although I had to come to terms with the fact that I would always feel some part of me was missing, buried under the ground with her.

My dad wasn't a good man. He was never really there for me. He and my mom had divorced when I was still in high school, after which he left the country. I never saw him again. My mom had never said a bad word about him, but I knew how she felt deep inside. She had never been too good at hiding her emotions, and I could tell how much she had suffered because of that man. I promised myself never to forgive him after he didn't show up at the funeral.

-Give me a sec.

I replied while applying my mascara. I took one last look at the mirror: it was the first time in months I wasn't wearing big clothes and a bare face and I was feeling confident. A black mini dress complimented my curves and my hair fell down my back. The fierce look that the girl in the mirror was giving me back, with the smokey eye makeup I had done, gave me the last boost of energy that I didn't know I needed to feel ready for whatever the night had in store for me.

-All set!

✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧

When we finally arrived at the nightclub, there were at least sixty people lined up to get in. As my eyes were scanning the multitude trying to find the last person in line, I glanced up at the large neon sign towering above us. "Inferno" read in big, bright red letters. It was my first time coming to this place and I didn't know how to feel about the whole thing. Hearing the loud bass coming from inside, I tried to imagine how it would be like if we ever got in. I looked around and catched a glimpse of someone throwing up in a corner.

Great.

A strong feeling of uneasiness began to sweep through my body.

Why did I come here? This was clearly a bad idea. I used to be the life of the party once, yes, but not anymore. And I just have to accept it. This isn't my thing anymore. I have to leave before it's too late.

Just then, I was brought back to reality by a cold hand interlocking fingers with mine.

-Let's go. I know one of the bartenders.

Holding her phone in her ear, Sarah led me to the door of the club. I heard some muttered insults as we made our way through the crowd, which only increased my levels of anxiety. At least now I wouldn't have time to back down.

Sarah made a quick phone call. A minute later, a man came to the door and, after smiling at her, he whispered something to the bouncer, who let us in right after stamping our hands.