14

I couldn't bring myself to hate him.

Ran and I had been seeing each other for a few days now and I could firmly say that no one had ever treated me like this before. I found it impossible to think of him as a bad person. I also liked the way he took things slow, always so gentle and careful with me.

-So you're seeing the sugar daddy?

Sarah and I were lying on the couch in my living room, listening to "Baby Powder" by Jenevieve. I had filled her in a bit on the current situation, but I hadn't told her about Ran's background or what kind of business he was in. I probably never would. Not only would it expose Ran, but it would also worry her and most likely put her in danger.

-His name's Ran. And I wouldn't say "seeing". I still don't even know what his intentions are with me.

-Come on. Do you really think he'd treat you like that if he just saw you as a friend?

-That's the thing. I don't know how he treats others.

-Unless his days are longer than twenty-four hours, I think you're just overthinking it. What are your intentions with him, though?

I opened my mouth to answer when a new message popped up on my phone.

I had to restrain myself from instantly jumping to my feet and yelling with excitement when I read the last message. Instead, I smiled inwardly.

-You know, Sarah? You might be right.

✦✧✦✧✦✧✦✧

A chauffeur was waiting outside my building when I walked out the door. After much thought, I had decided to wear a simple but elegant burgundy dress and matching heels, with my hair pinned with a metal claw clip and some accessories to complete the look. Sarah had told me that her date with Oliver was also today and we had agreed to update each other later.

-We're here, miss.

I still wasn't used to being treated so formally, let alone by people older than me, but I felt too shy to say anything about it.

The chauffeur led me to the entrance of the building and opened the door for me before informing me that Ran lived in the penthouse.

I checked my makeup in the elevator mirror, chuckling to myself at how far-fetched the situation of me having a date with someone who lived in a luxury building seemed.

I forced myself to ring the doorbell despite how nervous I was, and after a few seconds Ran opened the door. We both examined each other from head to toe simultaneously. He was wearing a navy blue suit with a burgundy tie almost the same shade as my dress. His hair was gelled to the side as usual.