10

For the past week, I had been trying to keep my distance from Ran. Not being with him was harder than I had thought it would be, but it probably was for the better, given how dependent I already felt on him. I had also made a firm decision not to tolerate any more lies in any of my relationships.

Something inside me told me that maybe Ran was just drunk and didn't think straight when he told me about his tattoo. Or maybe he just didn't want to reveal its meaning because he was embarrassed. Why else would he have lied about a tattoo? That's why I had been avoiding him and making excuses not to meet him instead of jumping to conclusions and getting angry. Besides, who was I to demand an honest answer about something so banal? A tattoo was a tattoo. But still, I couldn't shake the feeling that there was more to it. And I was about to find out.

Kai was already sitting at a table in the coffee shop where we had agreed to meet when I arrived. When he saw me approaching, he stood up and, as if on instinct, opened his arms, ready to give me a hug. When the realization dawned on him less than a second later, he lowered them again.

-Hey.

He started, with a small grin spreading across his lips.

-Hey.

I didn't smile back.

-Thanks for coming. I've missed you so much.

-I'm not here for you.

I replied, curtly.

-Listen Y/N, I know you're mad at me. I fucked up. But I'm willing to start over, I broke up with-

-What did you want to tell me about Ran's tattoo?

I interrupted. Kai's eyes widened at my question, first with surprise, then filled with anger.

-You're still seeing that son of a bitch?

-Answer me.

I demanded.

-Just stay away from him.

With each answer, I confirmed my suspicions: Kai was simply jealous and there was no reason for me to suspect Ran.

I stood up, ready to leave, but Kai grabbed my wrist to stop me.

-Bonten. The tattoo means he's a member of Bonten.

-Bonten?

I slowly sat back down, my brows furrowed in confusion.

-You really don't watch the news, huh.

-What does that mean?

-They're a criminal organization, Y/N. The worst one in the country right now.

Kai continued to tell me about the various crimes and misdeeds of the organization, but I wasn't listening anymore.

-I'm only worried about your well-being, Y/N. Please, promise me you'll cut ties with him. I couldn't forgive myself if something happened to you.

He continued.

-No, no, no. It can't be...

My eyes were moving frantically, thinking of all the moments I had spent with Ran.

-He's... He's not that kind of person. He'd never...

-Listen to me, Y/N. You don't know that guy! He's a fucking monster. Anything you know about him is a lie.

I stood up without shooting one last glance at Kai, my eyes too busy searching for answers in the air, as if the truth would magically appear before me. Within seconds, I was out of the coffee shop, as if my legs were moving on their own.