Chapter 6

"What the-" Michael groaned, waking up after hearing sirens outside. In his arms, Luke began to shift awake.

"Mikey, what's wrong?" he asked, looking up at the distraught boy above him.

"I don't know..."

It was still dark out, the sun hadn't risen yet. From the window, they could see the red and blue lights moving. Campers in every cabin began waking out, half asleep but still curious of what had happened during the night.

Ashton slipped a sweatshirt on, following Michael, Luke, and Calum out of the cabin door. Luke almost tripped down the stairs, but Calum caught him before he could fall.

"Are you ok?" Calum asked, helping Luke stand up straight.

"Y-yeah," Luke replied, "I'm just still sleepy."

Calum nodded, catching up to Ashton who was walking ahead of them.

Luke looked over at Michael, who looked concerned.

"I'm fine Mikey," Luke reassured him, taking his hand.

"Ok..." Michael hesitantly answered. They followed Ashton and Calum to wherever they were going.

The girls in the cabin next to them were also coming out. They spotted Liam, Niall, Zayn, and Harry outside of their cabin, and quickly ran over to them. Louis stayed inside, not wanting to see Harry at all.

"Do you guys know what's going on?" Ashton asked.

They all shook their heads. Not a single person there knew what was going on.

From a distance, they could see a counselor running over to them very quickly.

"We're having an issue right now. It's nothing you guys need to worry about, ok? Go back to bed," she informed them.

The next morning at breakfast, everything was somewhat normal, other than Louis and Harry. Louis sat on the opposite side of the table, next to Liam, avoiding any interaction with Harry.

"Can I have everyone's attention please?" a counselor said, standing at the front of the hall. Everyone quieted down, paying attention to the girl with the mic. A few of the campers looked at each other in confusion. 

"Last night, an extremely unfortunate tragedy happened. At 3:30 in the morning, a camper was rushed to the hospital in critical condition." She paused for a moment, trying to hold in her tears. "The doctors did everything they could, but unfortunately it didn't work. He died at 3:57 this morning."

After the news, no one was really sure what to say.

"Tonight, we will hold a candlelight vigil in honor of this camper at 9. We expect you all to be there. So... yeah... that's it. Thank you all for listening. If anyone needs to talk to someone, we have a social worker in the infirmary." The girl walked away and handed the mic back to the owner of the camp, who was now crying also. The owner gave her a tight and comforting hug.

"Holy shit," Calum cursed under his breath after just realizing what he had heard.

"What happened?" a boy from a table towards the front asked, getting the owner's attention.

"We can't release that information," he replied.

A lot of whispering could be heard around the camp as everyone was theorizing on what could have happened. 

After breakfast, the boys walked back to their cabins together, passing the 18th one, which was blocked off by police tape.

They continued to walk without saying anything. Luke and Michael walked hand in hand, as they always do. Geoff glanced over at Awsten every few minutes, making sure he was doing ok. Harry kept glancing over at Louis, hoping he would look over, but he never did. He still wouldn't listen to Harry, no matter how hard Harry begged him to listen.