Chapter 10

After lunch, the campers were all split into groups. Calum was forced to sit out with his injured ankle.

Instead of watching his fellow campers participate, Calum kept replaying his conversation with Ashton from last night in his head.

"How do you know if you aren't straight?"

Was he implying something? Was he questioning his sexuality? Was he just curious? Calum had no idea what Ashton meant by that question and that terrified him. Their conversation gave him a sliver of hope that Ashton liked him back. He had just given up hope a few days ago and started trying to get over him. But all of his feelings came back immediately after they talked last night.

He was sitting on the sidelines, icing his ankle, and watching his group play beach volleyball. Ashton and Liam were on the same team and were currently winning by 8 points.

Calum didn't mind sitting out because he got to watch Ashton without anyone noticing. He couldn't help but admire how beautiful Ashton looked playing volleyball. His skin glistened in the sun and his tank top clung loosely to his sweaty body. He wore a red bandana which kept his curly hair out of his face.

Calum looked away for a moment to regain his composure. He was a blushing mess, to say the least.

Ashton and Liam ended up winning both sets and won the game overall. They high-fived each other before splitting up. Ashton walked over to Calum and sat next to him while Liam grabbed his and Ashton's water bottles and brought them over. Ashton thanked him and handed one to Calum. 

"How are you doing?" Ashton asked.

"I'm ok. I actually don't mind sitting out," Calum replied. He estimated that it had been about 20 minutes since he first put ice on his ankle so he took it off to allow his ankle to rest.

"I'm sorry that you're stuck here alone," Ashton sincerely said.

"It's not your fault Ash. You don't need to apologize."

"We don't play a game next round," Ashton brought up, "So.... Now I can keep you company."

"Yay!" 

Calum smiled, looking over at the extremely sweaty boy. He sat with legs extended, ankles crossed, and arms holding him up from behind his back.

"Do you need me to get you anything?" Ashton asked, interrupting the silence.

"No I'm ok Ash," Calum answered. The two boys sat together in comfortable silence, watching the other games continue. Calum subtly inched his hand closer to Ashton. He eventually picked up on Calum's movement and gently took Calum's hand in his own.

Awsten was having trouble with gathering the courage to talk to Jawn. It was so simple; he just needed to ask Jawn for glue. Yet, something was stopping him from walking up there.

He checked the clock in the recreational building, which read 10:25. They only had about 15 minutes left of arts and crafts. He needed to talk to Jawn now or he never would get the chance to.

Awsten stood up and made his way over to the counselor. "Hey... do you know if there is any green glitter glue?" he asked shyly.

Jawn nodded, grabbing the bottle from a nearby drawer. "Here you go. Your necklace is cool by the way."

Awsten looked down to his multi-colored foot necklace, "Oh.. um... thanks. I like your hair. The red fits you."

Jawns thanked him and complimented his hair as well. Awsten panicked, not really knowing what to say next.

"Um.... thanks for the glue," he awkwardly said before practically running off.

Jawn smiled and chuckled as he watched the awkward boy run into a nearby table, knocking over one of the other camper's projects. The fragile house broke into many popsicle sticks on the ground.