Chapter 1: Youth

She was wrapped in a chain of gold.

Rainbow Dash had known luxury all her life. From high ceilings and glittering chandeliers, to red carpets and fancy banquets.

And she liked them. She had to. Because this was her life.

But sometimes, she wanted to take a break from acting like a perfect poised doll. She wanted to run around, jump, frolic, and lose control if only for one day.

But she knew it would be impossible. God forbid her father saw her acting out. The cameras would have a field day with that.

So, she kept it in.

It remained a secret desire buried in the deepest parts of her mind.

Untouchable and unreachable.

...Until she saw them.

The Wonderbolts.

They flew with agility. Each and every move were accurate and precise. They were grand. They were striking. They seemed untouchable.

They were everything Rainbow Dash longed to be.

At the ripe age of 8, Rainbow Dash had found her dream.

And she vowed to make it come true.

------

Rainbow Dash found her first friend a few months later in the form of Fluttershy, the frail daughter of their chef.

Finally, the girl had someone to share her thoughts with. Though Fluttershy wouldn't understand completely, at least she wouldn't be alone.

Rainbow Dash shared everything. Her desires, her dreams, and her goals. And the shy girl did the same. She shared her insecurities, her problems, and her anxiety.

For the first time in their lives, they had a companion by their side.

And it was freeing.