FIVE. good lord

"Up! Up! Up!"

"Up! Up! Up!"

Andrew groaned and rolled over, trying to ignore his little sister. "It's Sunday,"

"Exactly," Maddie shook him harshly. "Dad's started working weeks now since he's got a new zest for life," she rolled her eyes. Since he'd announced the divorce to the children, he was happier than they'd seen him in years. He still hadn't told Bonnie yet, and Maddie was both urging him to and dreading the day he did. "So now since Mom and Dad are both here... and it's Sunday..."

Andrew let out another groan as he put the pieces together. "Fuuuuuck," he let out a dramatic sob. "Great, my first day off in weeks and I have to go to church,"

None of the kids were really religious, but Bonnie liked that it was the thing they did together as a family, even if none of them really believed in God. Maddie was already dressed and ready, her only task was to get everyone else dressed and ready as well, a pale blue dress reaching her knees with a back that tied up. Her dark hair was loose and straight hanging over her shoulders and she'd put on the only nice shoes she owned. "Yes, you do. I'm coming back in ten minutes and if you're not dressed I'm setting your bed on fire,"

Andrew rolled his eyes as his sister went down the hall, undoubtedly to give a much gentler wakeup to the rest of the family. She hesitated outside her parent's door, before knocking gently and pushing it open. It was by far the messiest room in the house, but it was also empty at that moment. Sticking her head into the kitchen she found both her parents awake in the same room, a first in Maddie's life for the last few months.

Scott was reading the paper while Bonnie fixed her lipstick in the mirror beside the front door. Maddie sighed, she knew she was imagining it, but she felt an overwhelming sense of dread in the air. She hurried around, rousing her younger siblings. She helped pull Sydney's sweater over her head, braiding her long dark hair. She was in her Alice in Wonderland phase, Maddie tying a black ribbon into her tresses. By the time she'd dressed Jack, Andrew was already finished his cup of coffee. The entire family was all dressed up. She didn't like it.

Andrew had got Sydney working on a bowl of cereal when Maddie heard the doorbell. She downed the rest of her coffee before yanking the door open. She was surprised when she was met with fluffy blonde hair and a familiar grin. "Hi,"

She glanced warily at her family behind her. "What are you doing here?" Maddie was about to step out, closing the door, when her dad approached.

"Who's this?" he examined Simon's outfit, a black Green Day shirt over white long sleeves. Black painted nails, rings, and black converse over dark jeans. Exactly the kind of guy he didn't want his little girl hanging around.

"Uh, this is Simon, I was tutoring him for a math test on Monday," Scott nodded, satisfied at the answer and not even realizing they were on Summer break. "What's up, Simon?"

Simon played along. "I just came around to say I left a hoodie here," he needed to give something back to her, but he certainly couldn't say it with her dad standing right there. He knew Maddie had more than a few of his sweaters in her bedroom, so she could sell the lie.