THIRTY SEVEN. circles

"What did you say?"

"What did you say?"

Evie squinted under the harsh light of Cindy's flashlight. "What?" She held up a hand so that she could actually see Cindy.

"Did you say my name?"

Evie pushed Cindy's arm down so the torch wasn't shining directly into her eyes. "Why would I say your name? You're right next to me."

Cindy huffed, turning back to continue down the cavern. Evie was going to open her mouth to say something else when she heard a raspy voice right behind the back of her neck.

Evie...

"No, I heard it." Cindy turned back to Evie. "Come here."

Cindy assumed Evie wanted her to go over to see if maybe the two of them could hear it together, but Evie just grabbed her hand. "I don't like being so far underground."

"We're going to get out of here," Cindy said resolutely. "We're fine. We're fine." Cindy was definitely trying to convince herself more than Evie but Evie didn't mind.

"Boo!"

Evie was going to kill Alice. Cindy jumped so far out of her own skin that if she wasn't holding onto Evie she probably would've gone through the cave ceiling.

"Jesus, what the hell?" Cindy scowled, letting go of Evie's hand to shove Alice in the shoulder. "I told you not to follow me."

Alice sneered, mirroring Cindy's actions with the redhead's own shoulder. "Yeah, I didn't. You two went in a circle. A fucking circle." She laughed, gesturing around at the cavern they were in.

Evie could still see the part that had caved in on Danny. She felt unwell.

Cindy was currently breathing heavily, hands shaking. Evie reached out to grab her hand but Cindy rushed forward. Evie let her fist clench around the air.

She needed to get it together, really, that's all it was. She needed a hug, too, probably. But Cindy was too busy looking back at the journal and mumbling under her breath. "One, two, three, four. One, two, three, four."

She span around a few times, continuing her counting.

"Okay, she's lost it," Evie said. Alice looked at her appraisingly.

The blonde girl crossed her arms. "What are you doing?"

"Four," Cindy said, like that meant something. She held up the journal pages to show them. "This symbol, it branches off here. Four times. Three there, one there. Just like this cave."

Evie looked up, finally noticing the way that the cave split in the same way as the witch's symbol in Mary's journal. She really did need to get it together. And definitely a hug as well.

""Sarah Fier cut off her wicked hand on Satan's stone, scarring the soil beneath with the witch's mark."" Cindy emphasised. "Scarring the soil!"

The cave was made by Sarah Fier, through her deal with the devil. "The witch's mark," she said, eyes wide.